[TECHNICAL] Morpheys Quickpwn JB 2.1 Free space/duplicate folders

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by sonny123, Sep 20, 2008.

1. sonny123

sonny123 New Member

Hi,

i was wondering if someone could help me figure something out about the storage values of my iPhone: In iTunes 8 it states that i have over 350MB of data as "Other", but I only could hunt down my winterboad themes folder and a few cydia apps that barely come to 40MB.

I have no idea MB of data declared as "Other" on my device. Can you point me in the right direction where to look for the usual suspects?

I JB my touch from 2.0 to 2.1 sucessfully to with morpheys quickpwn. I ssh'd and found 2 application folders.. both contain the same native/cydia apps: mail, safari, mxtube etc...

I deleted the old one which had no documents folder ..and my bossprefs/cydia stopped working!

I also found 2 theme folders.. I guess 1 was from my 2.0 JB touch and the new theme folder was my 2.1 JB folder. My new one of coursse didn't have any themese in it (as it's new) so it was wasy to spot the old one and i deleted it with no trouble.

I guess there must be quite a few of these 'duplicates' lying around.

when i go to BOSSPREFs and click on display FREE SPACE. it says i have 14gb of my 16GB availabe (correct). And it says:

***** 86MB available of 500Mb (on the partition) ******

that means 500Mb minus 86Mb = 414MB is being used somewhere

******what do you guys get when you go to bossprefs and click on 'show free space' ?

I think it has somethin to do with what BiggBoss wrote on sleepers.net:

"First off, you never use “upgrade” on a jailbroken device. If you do that, you automatically lose about 500mb of disk space and never recover it until you finally restore. If you upgrade from 2.0 to 2.0.1 using upgrade button, you lose 500mb. If you then upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2, you lose *another* 500mb. And this continues until you hit the restore button. The data loss is because Cydia moves your files around to free up space. The moved files become inaccessible but stay on your disk which means you essentially just lose the space."

Maybe i am totally wrong.

Any help would be grately appreciated!
  2. owie007

owie007 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    personally i think there is no duplicates... i guess what you saw were symlinks, that's why when you deleted it stuff stopped working.
    more or less these OTHERS are a bunch of files installed together with Cydia, for it to work properly it needs these file... debian stuff...
  3. sonny123

sonny123 New Member

no, they are duplicates. i just deleted one of them and now native apps or cydia apps do not work.

is there a way to restore the ipod and start witha clean slate? because 2.1 is gui based it does NOT do this.

i still have my restore file from 2.0 i will do this.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ok so i dg'd to 2.0 and the upg'd to 2.1 ..and JB'd

all my duplicatr folders are gone and has free's up loadsa space

woohoo