tcpdump problem on 2.1

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by SPLITER, Sep 22, 2008.

1. SPLITER

SPLITER New Member

I am on the 2.1, jailbroken. I did not install the term-v1000 and BSD Subsystem because I have read that the Cyndia includes BSD Subsystem's features and also because I could not find neither of them on Installer or Cyndia... So, I installed Mobile Terminal and tcpdump from Cyndia and tried the command "tcpdump" in Mobile Terminal but I get the "no device found" message. Any help please?

Thanks in advanec
  2. nothingheremoveon

nothingheremoveon New Member

tcpdump problem...

1. You need to be root ( su root)
    2. As far as I can see, you can't send control-c to exit tcpdump, so use -c option
    otherwise, you would have to log into your touch/iphone root account to kill it.

This was my observation, at least. I'd prefer using a system with a MUCH larger screen for this....
  3. SPLITER

SPLITER New Member

what do you mean su root? do you mean the "sudo" command? because Ive tried "sudo tcpdump" and it says the command sudo isnt found... and what control-c option...?
  4. nothingheremoveon

nothingheremoveon New Member

yep, su command works. While as you found out, sudo isn't there.

Control-c is the keyboard sequence normally to force exit tcpdump when you have seen enough.
  5. SPLITER

SPLITER New Member

haha yes! it worked! thanks alot. I believe the killall function would stop it?