taskbar sound controls gone

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by berky93, Apr 12, 2009.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

[windows vista home premium]

for some reason, my taskbar sound controls (the little speaker icon in the taskbar you click to control the sound volume) is missing. theres no way to enable it with the context menus. but I know you still CAN change the sound volume, thanks to my external volume controls. still, it's annoying not to be able to see what volume my speakers are set to before playing something such as a song, plus its easier to use the icon than the buttons. is there a way to re-enable the sound icon?

EDIT: ok so I just checked the properties option from the context menu in the taskbar, for some reason volume and network are both greyed out and unavailable to check. I've heard this problem can be caused by a registry option accidentally being deleted by a program or something, but I'm not really sure where to even look in this case.

EDIT2: ok I found a solution to my problem - it WAS missing registry files, but I found someone who had uploaded a registry file that fixes missing taskbar notification icons. if anyone wants it, it's in the code below - just save it as [something].reg

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Enable Notification icons in Windows Vista
    ;Ramesh Srinivasan, Winhelponline.com on Mar 22, 2008

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "HideSCAVolume"=-
    "HideSCANetwork"=-
    "HideClock"=-
    "HideSCAPower"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "HideSCAVolume"=-
    "HideSCANetwork"=-
    "HideClock"=-
    "HideSCAPower"=-

"NoTrayItemsDisplay"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoTrayItemsDisplay"=-

"NoAutoTrayNotify"=-

"NoAutoTrayNotify"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify]
    "IconStreams"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify]
    "PastIconsStream"=-

2. NeSEncHo

NeSEncHo Active Member

Happened to me several times. I restart and they are back.