Review Tankz

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Education, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Tankz

Please Register or Log in to view images

Category: Games
    Released: May 25, 2009
    Version: 1.0
    Size: 13.2MB
    Developer: Clickgamer Technologies Ltd
    Home Page: http://www.clickgamer.com/moreinfo....72e1e41ebe99d42885aef882d7f88&T133220090604=1

What is Tankz?
    Tankz is an arcade style tank game where your goal is to gather all the flags that are scattered all over the map as fast as you can or try to get the highest score you can by collecting everything you can find and killing enemy towers and tanks. The game has a unique concept with large fields in which you can play as futuristic and floating tanks.

Features
    Tankz features 3 different tanks which include the Leopard, Xio Assault and Striker. The game also features 3 different levels ranging from the icy northern lands to the desert barrens. There are two game modes, Best Score and Best Time in which you are allowed to choose a difficulty of Easy or Hard. Tankz also features a Global Highscore ladder where players can compete to get the number one spot!

Interface
    When you first open the app, you are taken to a screen with 4 buttons which are Help, Scores, Settings and Play. In this screen you are also given 4 options for what tank you want to play as, what level you want to play in, what mode you want to play and of course the difficulty. Help basically tells you how to play, what the modes are and ingame enemies and bonuses. Scores are where you can find the highscores and Settings lets you change the sounds, choose which controls you want to play with and enable and disable shadows and vibrate. Tapping Play instantly starts the game with the settings you set on the main screen.

Gameplay
    As stated at the start of the review, Tankz is an arcade style tank game where your goal is to gather all the flags or kill as many enemy tanks and towers you can. You have a choice of 3 tanks that you can play with on 3 different maps. The first thing I noticed when I started the game were some minor lags but the game is still playable. For the first time playing, I found it extremely hard to kill the tanks and towers but once I played it a few times I actually managed to kill one for the first time. You are given 2 weapons to kill your enemies and these are the normal tank bullets and rockets that automatically fly to enemies. The maps in Tankz have two levels, one at the bottom and one at the top. You start off at the bottom and can get to the top by driving onto jump pads. There are also hover pads which slowly regenerates your health. While you're playing a game, there are 2 different types of enemy tanks. One is fast and aggressive while the other drops proximity mines which damage your health if you get too close. There are also ammo around the map that you can collect for your weapons, since you only start with a limited amount. The driving in Tankz takes a while to get used to since it is completely different to other racing games. I do believe the developers made the driving different from the fact that the tanks are meant to be floating. The driving in Tankz actually makes the tanks seem like it is actually floating as it does feel like it glides in the air a bit. The game does start off pretty boring since I was extremely bad at it but once I got used to all the controls and such, the game was actually pretty fun.

Controls
    The controls in Tankz are just plain awesome. They give you the option to change the controls to left-handed or right-handed and they use the accelerometer really simply by using it to steer the tank left and right. You get a keypad for acceleration, brakes, turning left and right and 2 buttons for firing the weapons. You can easily pause the game by a simple tap in the top right corner which gives you a small window with the options of quitting the game and resuming the game. Best of all, the game lets you change the view between 3rd person and 1st person.

Visuals
    Tankz has some great visuals with nice models and effects. The game features some small particle effects and projectile trails which helps bring the game to life. What I noticed while I was playing was the fog in the distance. I think it actually added a little realism to the game and the developers did a good job in implementing it. I personally like the tanks, as they have been designed nicely and just look awesome. The maps have also been designed nicely and had a nice feel to it.

Audio
    The audio in Tankz in excellent. The only bad thing is the repetitive background music. Although the background music is repetitive, it does suit the theme of tanks and battles, so it isn't too bad. The sound effects are just plain awesome and make the game sound really realistic. The sounds of the engine, firing of your weapons and even being attacked adds that tad of realism to the game.

Replay Value
    Tankz has great replay value due to the fact that you can never actually finish the game. There's also Global Highscores, which often keeps users playing to reach the top of the ranks. However, with the small lags, it can really make you put the game down sometimes.

Attached Files:

2. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Solid stuff! Another great review :3
  3. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i agree... it is a great game.

nice review...
  4. Germany

Germany Banned

Great review! I now have this application myself and am about to play it. Looks really fun.
  5. jhloa2

jhloa2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  6. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the compliments! My next review will be up in a day or two.
  7. Alpha911

Alpha911 New Member

Device:
    iPad
    nice 1 thx