Taking the ipod touch back!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheNazgul, Oct 18, 2007.

1. TheNazgul

TheNazgul Member

Yes like i said i have taken my ipod touch back and got my £270 back!

why your thinking?

well to be honest its just not worth it in my opinion. You have have to jailbreak it to get any use out of it.

- 16gb is no where near useful for what i need it for!

- All the cool features i.e. Mail, Maps, require internet connection. And only place where a free internet connection is, is in my own home. (Might aswell use my own computer!)

- So basically i have paid £270 to watch movies and listen to music i might aswell get my self a 80gb ipod video and save £130.

Dont get me wrong the ipod touch is a stylish gadget but thats all it is. It offers no purpose other than watching movies and listening to music. Because all other apps require some sort of internet connection

Please dont justify the ipod touch because its got a Nes emulator on it. I have better games on my mobile phone.

I aint going to buy one until there is

1. At least 60gb of storage

2. They cost about £180

3. They offer full access to applications
  2. Rawd

Rawd New Member

We all have our own opinions and I respect yours...

I am loving mine. I use it on Wifi at home, work, and at friends places. I plan on setting up server at home so that I can watch movies and listen to my whole archive of music on my Touch when I am away from home. Most hotels now offer wifi service, so I will definatetly be streaming movies to my hotel room and then using the video out cables to the TV. This is how I will get around the 16gb storage problem. I am also very excited to see what sort of third party applications come out for it. This is just the very beggining.
  3. TheNazgul

TheNazgul Member

Yeah but knowing apple they will end up bringing a new applications every other week and your guys are going to be stuck jailbreaking the new updated ipod to get the rest of the much needed applications.

Just seems like there being real arseholes about the ipod touch. The only reason they have held the applications from the ipot is that they dont want sales to go down on there "iphone".

The fact of the matter is that 16gb just dont cut it in my opinion! I havent got a clue how you guys manage with 8gb.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132358

i can check my mail on my phone and i have a tomtom to look at maps!

ipot = just not worth £200 - £270
  4. szrimaging

szrimaging New Member

That is your opinion. And it may make economic sense to you.

For me, given all factors, I thing the Touch is great. It was rushed out the door, as are most products now, thus the lag time between the release and the SDK. The OS wasn't even finished when they released it. In fact, i am not sure it is finished now.

As for the apps, we may not need to worry about them depending on how the SDK and method of app delivery is handled. I for one, am anxious. This will give a very set platform for development, and will allow for better apps that run more consistently.

And no coffee shops or anything near you give away wi-fi? Where you work doesn't? And for me, it has been excellent just at home. Don't need to boot up one of my rigs to look at a stat or manage one of my fantasy teams. And on the road, its been terrific. A large number of restaurants in the US offer wi-fi.
  5. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

Well I respect your opinion, one device isn't right for everyone. It is for me though. I have the 8Gb model as...

* I have a 160gb Classic iPod for carrying EVERYTHING when I want to back up or go travelling, I only need storage space for a couple of thousand of my favourite tracks on my iPod Touch for day to day use.

* I have WiFi at home, my work train has WiFi and the whole square mile my office is in has WiFi as well (paid for by work) - so connection isn't an issue.

* Sometimes in bed you just wanna pop on MSN or check the news without grabbing the laptop and sitting up properly - the iPod Touch is perfect for that.

* It makes a perfect wireless media remote for iTunes/Mac

* It's a great little PIM organiser now the iPhone apps are added

* For some people £199/£270 just isn't that much money.
  6. samhain959

samhain959 New Member

to the original poster:

yeah, you are pretty much right on all your points. In fact after reading your comment I almost considered selling mine as well.

But I like it, and I think there is a lot more to come from this thing. As far as always jailbreaking.. No one has to upgrade to a new version. I can decide when I upgrade the ipod beyond 1.1.1. In fact I probably won't until there is a very tried and tested way of jailbreaking a new version.

But I do agree with you on some points. And yes, the NES games are a complete waste of time, but that's not really the main point of the ipod anyway.

I think this thing does a few tasks that are very similar to a laptop. In that sense it is useful and I like the fact that it's tiny and fits in my pocket.
  7. TheNazgul

TheNazgul Member

The thing is i have my own sony vaio aswell so i use that if i want wireless on the move.

Dont get me wrong i know all you guys love yours...but for me personally i just dont have any use for it at all.
  8. Rallos

Rallos New Member

Pretty much all of this stuff could be easily found out before you bought it in the first place. My question to you would be, why did you buy it at all? (not trying to be rude here)
  9. Lee

Lee New Member

Your points for return are valid to you and all due respect.

Personally I dont have thousands upon thousands of songs to upload.

I had the original nano which I gave to my son because i didnt like the feel of it and the screen was way too small for my old eyes.

I then purchased the shuffle so i didnt have to mess with screens and I had only a few hundred songs i wanted to carry around with me, but then my collection grew and the need to carry more songs around did too, so any upgrade is a plus for me...lol.

I have a powerful PDA and a laptop for mobile use.

So the i-pod touch was a good choice for me and i still think its awesome. As in an earlier post this is just the beginning of this generation. I did my homework before buying this so i knew what I was and was not getting.

Im sad to hear you returned yours for your own good reasons.
  10. skids

skids New Member

In reply to the original poster.

Why did you buy it in the first place?

You knew how much capacity it had and it was very easy to find out all the other information from any number of websites.

I like mine but I think it would have been useful if it had a memory card slot to give the ability to increase the storage space but then I guess Apple wont do that otherwise people wont buy their bigger capacity ones in future!