taking iPod back...warranty?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mossme89, Feb 23, 2008.

1. mossme89

mossme89 Member

if I ever need to take my iPod to the apple store to get repaired, or to get a new one, do I need a recipt? Because I bought mine off ebay and don't have a proof of purchase.

Also, isnt the $60 warranty only for tech support?
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

A) It helps to have a receipt if you want the maximum extent of the warranty, but you don't need one. They'll just use the date code in the serial number to determine the unit's age. And they don't repair them, they replace them.

B) The AppleCare extended warranty covers the unit and tech support.
  3. Myekay

Myekay New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i am too, taking my ipod back, i bought mine from best buy though... so what exactly are they gonna do when i get to the apple store? im just going to explain to them that my ipod goes into recovery mode randomly sometimes... and it happened like 2 times now..
  4. mossme89

mossme89 Member

restore your ipod first. if they find out it was Jailbroken, they may not replace it, or will charge you
  5. Touch²

Touch² New Member

Plug your iPod's serial number in here first:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Your touch's warranty started the day it was first plugged into iTunes, either by you if it was new, or the original owner if you got it used. If you need to go the Genius Bar (best to make an appointment online first) then you can tell them the date you bought it and it will match what they see when they check at the store. No receipt required.