Taking Advantage of Jailbroken Devices in MonoTouch.

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by kbo206, Apr 25, 2010.

1. kbo206

kbo206 New Member

I'm fairly new to iPhone development and mainly utilizing MonoTouch so I can piggy-back off my previous C# experience. Can anyone out there please point me in the right direction, like a resource, to get started in this area. Even if it is done in Objective-C (yuck), I may still be able to tread through it. This could be anything as long as it takes advantage of jailbroken devices.

Thanks for anything and everything.
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

What are you asking? What does "taking advantage of jailbroken devices" mean? What are you trying to do? What is MonoTouch.

Also, learn Objective-C.

If you're asking for resources on beginning programming for the iPhone, then check out http://developer.apple.com/iphone for all the information you need.
  3. kbo206

kbo206 New Member

Essentially, I'd like to see any form of resources that regard to jailbreak-only "tools" or uses. So I can build some simple apps that can utilize them. If this doesn't seem to make much sense (honestly it doesn't make much sense to me either) any resources regarding MonoTouch tutorials are appreciated.

Learning Objective-C isn't something I actually have time to do right now. And to be honest, I prefer the newer styles of languages like that of C# as opposed to Objective-C.
  4. CarlosTheJackl

CarlosTheJackl Member

I would still learn Objective-C, does apple still accept apps made my monotouch?
  5. NolesFans

NolesFans New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I really don't think Apple approved C# applications.
  6. kbo206

kbo206 New Member

They were allowed, at first.

Objective-C just isn't a viable option for me. C# has spoiled me with its memory management and other .NET managed classes, and to be honest, Objective-C is an eyesore as far as syntax goes.
  7. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Now that Apple has banned third party tools, C# is not a viable option. Also, C# is arguably "weak-sauce" compared to Objective-C, which sports compatibility with C, native execution, etc. While C# is an good option for a Windows GUI programmer, and Objective-C is not; the opposite is true for the iPhone. Programmers need to be able to use the right tool for the job.

There's nothing wrong with learning how to manage memory. It's good to have some understanding of how things work. That said, Objective-C shields you from low level memory management, and the reference counting approach is logical.

Yes, it will take some time, but if you wish to continue AppStore development, you really have no other choice.
  8. kbo206

kbo206 New Member

I agree, but I really have no intention of releasing much of anything in the App Store. And I know there's nothing wrong with learning memory management, I'm saying that I'd personally rather to not have to deal with it. Even though Objective-C might be the "right tool for the job" it doesn't mean its the right tool for the developer. I'd rather write three or even four lines of C# then 1 or two of Objective-C. This is one of the reasons I have very little interest in developing anything Apple. I sure as heck don't want them to choose what's the right language or tool for me. I want to decide. And that in itself is one of the reasons why I dislike Apple as a company entirely.
  9. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

It's not that Apple is choosing the language for you to program in. Rather, it's the frameworks are all made with Objective-C or C. So, to take advantage of the UI and many of the other powerful features, you will need to learn Objective-C.

If this is a big deal for you, and I can't understand why, then just stick to the C frameworks and make your apps on C or C++ (both of which you should be familiar with, considering you know C#).

Realistically, there is not that much difference between C and Objective-C (or even C++ and Objective-C for that matter (I can't speak for C#, as I have only used the language once or twice)).

Basically, if you know one C based language, you know all the C based languages. The only thing to note is that instead of class.function(), you would have [object function]. Instead of constructors and deconstructors, you have init and dealloc.
  10. Freerunnering

Freerunnering Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    No one seems to get the new agreement!

C languages are still fine to apple!
    They said!
    Monotouch is writen in C so is FINE!

Please Register or Log in to view images