Taking a Jailbroken ipod to a Genius Bar

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jackass142, May 16, 2009.

1. jackass142

jackass142 New Member

iv got a ipod touch 2nd generation and jailbroken,
    BUT i drop my touch in the toilet

Please Register or Log in to view images

(i cant multi task haha).
    when i pulled it out (no hezation) the background was still working but the backlight was off, then after a minute or so i switched it off just incase i fried the insides.
    now it doesnt start up and doesnt even ping up when its pluged into the laptop.
    so i tried the rice in the bag and hairdryer techniques and none of them work.
    i recon that it could be just a failsafe mode and it doesnt repond for a week allowing the water to evaporate, heres hoping. but now a few days on iam getting worried! so heres my problem! should i;
    A. Wait a week and hope for the best
    B. sell it on ebay for around £80 and buy a new one
    C. risk taking it to the genius bar and have them confisate it when they hopfuly boot it up and realise its jailbroken.

ALSO theres not red or pink dot in the headphone jack, so i might get away with option C under warrentee, but i havent opened it up to find the internal red dots and see if they are red.
  2. Aurongel

Aurongel Banned

If DFU and the rice trick fail to get it to boot, then there is absolutely nothing that anyone at an Apple store can do to boot it either

With that being said, they have no way to prove that your iPod is jailbroken, therefore they have to abide to the warranty and replace your iPod...

But before you do this, make damn well sure your iPod is dead.
  3. jackass142

jackass142 New Member

thats what i was thinking, they have no proof that it is jailbroken untill they manage to boot it up which they wont.

i think i was lucky in that when i droped it in the toilet there was a bubble of air that prevented water to touch the water sensor.

the only other problem i see is that iv heard there are two more water sensor inside the ipod.

has any one had experience of sending there broken ipods to apple? like how soon do they send a replacement. the way iam guessing is if they cant boot it up or access it via a computer they will just send a replacment and not bother opening it. Am i wrong?
  4. manutdfan539

manutdfan539 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    They might not replace it unless you have a damn good story about WHY it's broken, and dropping it in the toilet ISNT one.
  5. jackass142

jackass142 New Member

"i was using it and it blacked out, i pluged it into the computer and it didnt reposond." any better sugestions? mabey "i was updating it and after it finished my ipod resprung and didnt turn back on" probly better not saying "resprung" isnt that a jailbreaking term :S haha
  6. manutdfan539

manutdfan539 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Maybe say a faulty USB cord they gave you short circuited it or something.
  7. jackass142

jackass142 New Member

doubt they will fall for that. i think iam gona hold off a week, hope that it might not have short circuited :S then if it doesnt start iam taking it to apple. PLEASE tell me if you think its a bad idea taking a JAILBROKEN ipod to apple.
  8. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    I have sent it in before because of a broken volume rocker. Just DFU, restore (if possible), and there is no way of telling it was ever jailbroken.

Then it was stolen on the train about a week later when I was returning home from work.

Please Register or Log in to view images