Taking A Deeper Look At The iPad (And Why It's Awesome)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrFairladyz, Jan 28, 2010.

1. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think I can safely say that the response to the iPad has been predominantly negative, and for good reason. There was absolutely no way that Apple could have lived up to the hype surrounding the tablet, and the negative effects of "over-promise, under-deliver" are taking their toll on the press this is receiving. To aid Apple as only a bored teenage fanboy can do, here is my opinion.

As avid tech geeks, the release has prompted multiple questions. Has Steve gone insane? Why would they release something that looks like it's still in its alpha stage? What was their goal here?
    These are valid questions, and to answer them, we have to look at things from Apple's (and the consumer's) point of view. Apple's goal here is to create something that brings together the mobile and desktop experience we are currently used to. One of the most repeated phrases used to describe the iPad (no, not that one you sick f***) is "big iPhone." Looking at the iPad as a large iPhone is a valid point of view, but you are not seeing the device as Apple intended. We were expecting something huge, so when the keynote was said and done, everyone was complaining about what the device doesn't have. "WHERE R CORE i7 AND WEBCAMZZZ AND LAZERZ, WTF APPLE!!! U GUISE SUCCCCCKKKKK!!" Take a second and think about what it is, not what it isn't. Pretend you are Mr. averageconsumer, and your needs are web browsing, social networking, doing schoolwork, and maybe playing a game or two. You walk into (fabulous retailer of your choice) and take a look around. A lot of the laptops are really above your price point, especially the MacBooks. You've heard quite a bit about Macs and how they're easy to use and virus-free, etc. Netbooks are perfect for your needs, but you've heard they're a bit slow and they run Windows. You look deeper into the Mac section and stumble upon an odd little device- the iPad. Web browsing? Amazing. Schoolwork? Check. Other apps (gaming, social, etc.) f*** yeah. Price? Not too shabby, especially when compared with the other Macs. It even looks pretty sexy, and holy hell, it's thin! What Apple did here was slash the price of their lowest MacBook (to the average user, anyway) by 50%. To a programmer/web designer/gamer/h4x0r, this tablet means nothing, and for good reason. It's just not what they're looking for. For Miss averageconsumer, this thing is pretty f***ing awesome.

Having yet to be released, the iPad is still in its infancy. Look at the iPhone/iPod touch you hold in your hand now and compare it to the one released in 2007. Who would touch that aged piece of sh*t? It had nearly nothing in common with today's version, and compared to today's version, it really is a huge disappointment. Our devices are what they are today because they changed over time. The iPad is not going to be the "LOL YOU CAN'T HAZ GOOD OS" letdown that it is today, just like the original iPhone wasn't the beast it is today. A jailbreak came, which allowed for both hardware and software related tweaks that fixed tons. Dozens of software updates were applied, fixing bug after bug, one user complaint/desire after another. The iPad is not some device that is destined to be what it is today, because Apple is not the type of company to throw an OS on a screen and tell its users to go f*** themselves. Remember, the iPad hasn't even been released yet. iBooks will be international, multitasking will be worked on (whether Apple does it or not), and some mind-blowing apps will be made. New updates will be released and new devices will be made, each doing something more than the previous version and putting an end to the hate.

Every mobile Apple device has set the industry bar in some way or another. In my opinion, the iPad is going to be one looked back upon as one of the biggest launches of this decade. The launch of the iPad is absolutely crucial to the future of tablets. Think about what the iPhone and iPod touch did to the mobile market. The iPhone prompted dozens of "LOOK AT ME, I KILL iPHONES" resistive touch screened, sh*tty OSed failures within the first few months of its launch. Look at the mobile market again today. The competition is amazing- multiple new mobile operating systems and App stores, faster and more powerful hardware every month, and a carrier war that will both fix the flawed networks and prepare the others for the mobile internet lifestyle more are learning to live. The iPod touch did the same to the media player market, effectively bringing capacitive touch screens to the masses. The iPad is a precursor to the tablet wars to come (and also a huge FU to the current full desktop, resistive touch screened tablets). This niche market will get bigger, and just like we can thank Apple for the mobile app heaven we live in today, we will be able to thank them for the wide variety of tablets of tomorrow.

The iPad definitely has its flaws, especially in the software sector. I can't deny that Apple is really misusing all the power of their new chip here. The biggest "now how the f*** did you screw that up?" has to be the lack of flash and multitasking. The good thing about these problems is that they can (and will) be fixed. This device is based on proven software (iPhone OS, based on OS X), but still needs work. People might wonder why there isn't a full-blown desktop OS on the iPad, and the answer is quite simple- Desktop OSes on tablets have always failed. Take a look at every 10+ inch tablet released so far and it's running some fresh Windows install. Windows wasn't made for a tablet, no desktop operating system was. What I really wanted was something in between iPhone OS and OS X, and I think that's exactly what we will begin to see in the future releases.

Every revolutionary Apple product released so far has been buried in a sh*tstorm of hate, and every single one has gotten better and proved the haters wrong. Call it what you will, but the iPad is another revolutionary product by the company that paved the way for the mobile market as we know it. Only time will tell what the iPad will become, and I don't think we will be disappointed.
  2. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well said.
  3. Tsubame

Tsubame New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nice read, I pretty much agree. Sorry I can't really say much to add to that

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Very nice. I agree with everything you just said

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Zc456

Zc456 Member

6. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm pretty sure the average user would notice the missing USB ports and CD drive. The list could go on and on.
  7. Tsubame

Tsubame New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I am so glad that these people that want CD/DVD drives on a device like this don't work for any real hardware development firms.

What would you possibly want with a CD-drive on this thing? Heck, when was the last time you've used a CD? My desktop iMac has never had the CD/DVD drive used for anything. My laptop has maybe had it used twice. I certainly wouldn't use it on my freaking ultra-portable devices.
  8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Lol, my Macbook's CD/DVD drive has been broken for a few months, but it hasn't changed my life.
  9. Zc456

Zc456 Member

Just think of the noise that thing would make when in a coffee shop. No thank you.
  10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Yea, especially if you keep switching positions. Disc getting scratched and stuff lol.