T9 Keyboard Layout (See Pic)

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by aesterling, Jul 15, 2008.

1. aesterling

aesterling New Member

Many people are completely satisfied with the current QWERTY keyboard layout, however myself and many others would love to see a T9 number keypad as an option.

Ideally, this could be implemented system-wide, but application specific is probably more realistic. Anyone coming from a "normal phone" is used to the number keypad layout and some actually prefer it over QWERTY for speed.

I made this quick screenshot in photoshop to show how it could look. The size/placement of the keyboard wouldn't need to change and you could easily cycle through the layouts and symbols with the same ".?123" button.

I'm not sure how the predictive text/T9 engine works - does it need to be licensed or something?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼

Attached Files:

2. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    thats pretty sweet. the current keyboard isnt that great.
  3. aesterling

aesterling New Member

I would love something like this! Would it be possible though? Ideally I'd use it for SMS (iphone, i know) but IM and any text input would be great!
  4. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Oh please make this!
    Itd help sooo much when IMing.
  5. aesterling

aesterling New Member

So does anyone know if this is possible? Can you mess with this "system-wide" stuff or what? I'd love to see it!
  6. shawkinsl

shawkinsl New Member

wellep i'm new at coding, but i'll give this a whirl... i'm sure i could probably whip this up eventually, but first i need to find a good windows compiler (if there is one) or wait until i get home from vaca to my mac to do it. the first release will probably be just a normal ABC kayboard (IE; pres 2 three [3] times to make the letter "c") until i can figure out how the t9 library works...

as for the answer to this, check out HWpen in utlitiies.
  7. mitch88ell

mitch88ell New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I like the current keyboard better. That is the whole point of Apple doing this. If this was to be implemented, there should be a switch to toggle it on and off.
  8. aesterling

aesterling New Member

@shawkinsl Excellent! Anything would be a great start! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

@mitch88ell I definitely can understand where you're coming from but having used a T9 numberpad phone for 5 years now, I'm much faster than with even the QWERTY.
  9. Numb

Numb Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Even though I am not going to use it....I must say that you did a very very good job on it =). If i was used to T9, I would definitely use it. And I appreciate you doing this for the people who WANT T9 keyboard. I would use this about 4 months ago..when I first got my iPhone lol =P
  10. Flagpole

Flagpole Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i have an lg voyager and when you send a text message using the outside touch interface, its a t9 keyboard and it really isnt all that great. If youre not looking at the keys you miss them and type something completly differnt. even when you are looking ath then you miss every now and then.