T-Mobile on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jchaike, Jul 19, 2010.

1. jchaike

jchaike Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It was front paged a few months ago, but I want to be certain and know if anybody has done this yet:

T-Mobile sim card with the iPad? I understand that I would need to cut the sim card by using a cutout, and that's not the information I was looking for. I know that the iPad is already factory unlocked, so it WILL work with T-Mobile, but AT&T's data plan is ridiculously expensive for such little data, and its making me almost regret getting the 3g just because of the fact I don't use it because I don't want to waste data.

So if anybody has T-Mobile on their iPad, could they let me know the plan that they had to register for when they went into the T-Mobile store?I am looking for just a data plan, and just a sim card, do I need to have a phone from T-Mobile to get a sim card? do I need a minutes plan with a data plan?
  2. iMikkie

iMikkie Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Many providers have micro sims designed for the iPad now.
  3. jchaike

jchaike Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I am basically looking for a cheaper data plan, or one that makes more sense than 15$ for 250mb. I only know of AT&T and T-Mobile in the USA that use SIM cards, any other suggestions?
  4. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You'll have to get a SIM card and cut it into a Micro-SIM.

There are two internet plans.
    One (I THINK is 4.99/month) gives unlimited but goes through a proxy and is slowed down.
    The other is unlimited (I THINK $14.99) without a proxy, which is obviously faster.
    And with EDGE, the first plan would leave you with a horribly slow connection... So go with the second.

Please Register or Log in to view images

T-Mobile is the only carrier the iPad and iPhone can work with (in America)

I'll check the prices later, I'm not sure about them.
    Either way, it'll be cheaper than AT&T.
  5. jchaike

jchaike Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    15$ unlimited vs 15$ 250mb... hmmm haha. I will deff look into this more, now that I know its such a big difference from T-Mobiel to AT&T. I think that both of their services are crap, and I'm glad to be with Verizon for my phone, but for my iPad, I could care less as long as I get bars where I dont have wifi.
  6. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    As I said, it doesn't really matter.
    It will still be cheaper with T-Mobile regardless of what plan you get.
  7. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
  8. jchaike

jchaike Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    can you even get a T-Mobile sim card that ONLY has a dataplan on it? or do they require a minutes plan as well?
  9. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I believe you just get a prepaid sim and add the data plan each month. Remember though, it won't be 3G, so you can't stream video or do much else besides web browsing and email/messaging.
  10. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Well, you might be able to stream movies or do similar things, but the speed would probably be horrendous, and quality is questionable...

I'd think the $25 plan for 2GB per month is not that bad... You only end up using about that much after a month anyway, and that includes maps and music streaming as well. If you use it sparingly for emails or web, you may just need the $15 plan. The iPad ain't gonna download gigs worth of ad data if that's what you are worried about. Now, if you need to stream Netflix 24/7, that's a different story...