T-Mobile iPhone finding At&t?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukechanning, Sep 18, 2009.

1. lukechanning

lukechanning New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So I got an unlocked iPhone and signed it up for a T-Mobile FlexPay account. I took it home this afternoon, and I noticed that in addition to the T-Mobile network, my iPhone was also picking up the AT&T network. If I leave the phone on automatic detection, it seems to alternate between the two (obviously picking the strongest one). I can receive calls and send texts on either, it would seem.
    So what in the world is going on here?! :S Am I roaming? Does T-Mobile have some kind of partnership with At&t in my area (Central Arkansas)? I'd like to know, because sometimes At&t's network is a lot stronger and using it would be awesome, but I don't want to rack my bill up. Any thoughts?
  2. beefstrudel

beefstrudel Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    In some places you can roam on AT&T's cell phone towers. But beware, I was a T-Mobile customer for 7+ years and in February of this year I got my first iPhone, unlocked it, and used it on T-Mobile. Where I live i get the strongest signal on AT&T so i had my iPhone lock on their towers all the time. I could use the internet, calls, and text. After about 5 months I got a letter from T-Mobile saying they were going to cancel my account because of excessive roaming. So now I'm on AT&T and I have an official iPhone plan and a new iPhone 3g =D
    So, you will not be charged for using their towers, just dont do it too much.