System (iPod) Restore, New Partition Idea

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rmc08, Apr 10, 2009.

1. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    You probably all know about system restore on XP and Vista, and it's saved my life a couple times... Don't you think this would be a good option for 99/100 with an iPhone or iPod Touch? It's a hell lot better than restoring...

Basically it would consist of a separate partition to boot the iPod into a special mode allowing connection to a PC or Mac, and you would do a button combination to enter it, sort of like entering DFU. There would be a program on the computer which contains the iPod restore points to the last working one, or any other ones you have. So basically, every time you install an app you'd have to plug it in to make a restore point, but I think it's better than losing all of your data. There could also be an option for placing restore points on the iPod itself, which may be easier. But the only problem with that is that the iPod doesn't really have enough space to do that, unless it's configured to save space somehow...

Anyway, I'd like something like this. Too bad I can't code yet...

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, I don't know if that's even possible, but Chris is working on something for redTool to put apps into the firmware, so when you Restore with it, you keep all of the Cydia apps that you put into it.
    I might be a bit wrong, but I'm sure i'm at least a little correct. Lol.
  3. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    lol, yeah i know about redTool just totally forgot about that part hah. it'd take a long time to re-create a firmware and re-compile all the apps into it. that's why system restore points would go by faster such as on XP.
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    True...
    But if it was possible, others would probably have done it already.