"sysctl" Possibly Usefull Info to Some (?)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kewlgreen, Jul 1, 2009.

1. kewlgreen

kewlgreen Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I was reading around in the "New Posts" and I came across a couple threads where people wanted to overclock their iPod Touch's processor.

There was information on how to view your processor speed, and the command that would allow you to set the speed (if it were allowed by the kernel.)

More to the point, that command was 'sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=***CLOCKSPEEDHERE***', which was denied write access.

I was messing around with the command and found that (in the description in terminal) 'sysctl -a' would show information about the device like:

Please Register or Log in to view images

To view a specific variable you would type 'sysctl hw.cpufrequency' or other variables:

Furthermore, you can narrow down the information given by only typing for example, 'sysctl hw', it would only give you information about the 'hw', or hardware:

None of these variables are actually writable, but I researched a bit, and i think I have found that these are set on the kernel build. My thoughts are to enable/disable or changed the value, we'd need to compile a new kernel.

As stated above, can anyone confirm this?

Any and all comments are welcome.

2. mbaichikov

mbaichikov New Member

this would be awesome if you can get the CPU speed i would clock it down to 400 for batter life