Syncing iTunes with USB drives

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Yakken, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Yakken

Yakken New Member

Hi

I just ordered a 16 GB Touch and installed iTunes. I am, however, using my work computer (I am stationed in the States for 6 months) which I do not want to keep my music etc. on, so I have all those things on a portable USB drive. I am a bit uncertain on how this thing will act up:

1. If I fire up iTunes without my USB drive connected, what will happen? Will I lose all the files in my music library along with all the album art I manually inserted? Or will iTunes just skip the songs it cannot find and keep the playlist (i.e. does it just store each item in the playlist as a reference)? I used quite some time organizing the files and don't want to try it out just for kicks...

2. I have another iPod back home, that my girlfriend uses. I was thinking about moving my music library to a NAS server and syncing both iPods from this, but can I sync files bought in the iTunes store with both of these devices? The other iPod in not linked to my current iTunes account, since my girlfriend uses it.

Thanks!
  2. Yakken

Yakken New Member

Anyone with an idea?
  3. Yakken

Yakken New Member

Bump again...
  4. Paintball

Paintball New Member

Well, if you take out the drive that your music is in, itunes will simply say it cant find your music. But it wont delete it off of your ipod or off itunes. Then just plug the drive back in and you will have your music.

As for the question about multiple syncing, yes you can. You can store music you buy off itunes on up to 5 computers and unlimited ipods. Hope this helped. PM me if you have any more questions.