Syncing idea

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by pwnthe2G, Aug 31, 2010.

1. pwnthe2G

pwnthe2G Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Is there any way someone could make an extension for the ipod or even itunes to show remaining sync time? i put alot of movies and videos onto my ipod in bunches and it would be awesome if it said 'sync in progress
    Time remaining: 1:32'

Just an idea because im sure a ton of people wonder how damn long the syncing will take

Please Register or Log in to view images

especially when theres alot of files, it seems like the itunes bar never moves. Also, a windows program would be cool.

and for people who say how would this be done, while i am not a programmer, maybe there is a way to measure the data trying to be input to the device, and then check the data connection speed, and judge time from there, like a regular download would. A windows version that pops up could work because when itunes syncs it checks your ipods remaining space.

i will clarify this later, it is 2 am here and i just had an idea, and other ideas for improvement or help please post, and done flame this, if you every wondered how long a sync will take this app/program would help you so just think about that
  2. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Interesting, I don't know if somone could make an add-in for iTunes, as iTunes is closed source, but it's still something that apple should implement.
  3. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Things like that are rarely ever accurate. If you've ever copied anything from one place to another in windows you know what I'm talking about. I prefer just the bar.
  4. pyromatic

pyromatic New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    That is something iTunes is in desperate need of!

Though, while I'm not saying it easy, but could somewhat possibly add or change something in iTunes to make it run more smoothly?
  5. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It won't work, unless you synced, it deleted it and had exactly the same processes running it won't be accurate at all. Say MY cpu is at 10% I sync and it takes 1 minute. I raise my CPU to 80% and it syncs in 20 minutes, see the difference, an add-on liet hat would just slow your computer own...a lot calculating what is going on.
  6. iSn0w

iSn0w Banned

• Immature or obscene comments
    I am literally sick of your gay ass name/logo coming up on every single thread i see, accompanied by an attempt at a know it all comment clearly backed by opinion and no fact. lol.
  7. ipitouchy

ipitouchy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    isn0w = 23 posts.
    iBricked = 957 posts.
    -.-

That's rude. Considering iBricked is a regular to the site, and you joined last month.
  8. iSn0w

iSn0w Banned

care.
  9. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    This helps answer the thread question how?
    ---------------------------------------------
    To answer your question, the timing wouldn't be accurate. The time remaining stuff is never accurate for downloads, copying, writing files, transferring stuff, etc. If Apple could create an accurate way to time this, it would be a different story. But the fact of the matter is, adding this would lengthen the time for each sync (It would have to calculate the amount of time required to: backup, update files on computer, update files on iPod, Sync mail, calendars, etc; calculating this would take time (sometimes up to a minute as I've seen on large file transfers on Mac OS X).

Inaccuracy + longer sync = probably not going to happen. If Apple could find a way so it wouldn't make the sync longer and be more accurate, they would.
  10. pwnthe2G

pwnthe2G Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    gr, allright then, just an idea, maybe one day

Please Register or Log in to view images

, thanks for the feedback though
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    edit/new idea: could there be a percentage of syncing left? or would it be the same difference as time remaining?