Sync over XP remote desktop?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gapman, Dec 24, 2007.

1. gapman

gapman New Member

Hi... so I have my ITunes library at work and my Touch is synced with that library. But I use Remote Desktop quite a lot from home, to connect to my work machine... Has anyone been able to use an IPod over remote desktop? E.g. connect the IPod to a home machine, and have ITunes on the remote machine recognize the IPod?

Remote Desktop has the ability to share access to local "plug and play devices", but I enabled that... no joy.

I kind of doubt that this IS possible... is there any other way to do this?
  2. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hmmm....thats an intersesting concept...
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, you can share your iTunes library over your local network - all you need to do is setup your computer so your work computer is part of your "local" network. Don't remember how, but I know people have done it before - VPN or something... Not sure if you could resync though...
  4. gapman

gapman New Member

Thanks DerekVOF... I am using VPN as well, so my local computer is essentially part of my work's LAN when I'm remote desktop'ed... So that's a good idea you had. Now I have to figure out how to get ITunes to "share" my library on the network. I've noticed some setting like "have ITunes search for shared libraries", but I'm not sure what that really means... how would it search? By scanning mapped network drives? Anyway, thanks, I'll investigate shared libraries...
  5. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    iTunes uses Bonjour to share libraries across the network... You'd have to go to the Sharing panel in iTunes. Turn on Look for shared libraries and Share my library on my locla network. Don't forget to password protect it... unless you want to give everyone on your network access...
  6. Alexpb

Alexpb New Member

Device:
    iPod touch