Symlink on Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by freelancer91, Aug 6, 2008.

1. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, before I start, I don't want to hear any sh*t about how windows fails or anything like that. I am using a hand-me-down Sony Vaio. I can't help it. Leave me alone. People on the IRC have been real dickheads about doing that.

I am having a problem that the ipod and iphone used to have on previous firmwares. My Computer has two local harddrives, a C drive (about 13GB) and a D drive (about 27GB). My OS (Windows XP) is stored on the C drive. Because of this, I don't have much freespace on my C drive. This leads to a huge problem. For example whenever I download a large file (about 1 Gig) it will store the file in the temp folder (on the C drive) until i finished downloading. As it keeps loading the file onto my computer, my virtual memory is diminished until none is left. At that point, my computer has slowed to a standstill. To combat this problem, I have acquired an external harddrive (the H Drive) which holds about 300GB. I store all of my media on that thing. This brings me to the problem that I want to discuss.

Whenever I download an application from the appstore, and I sync my ipod with itunes, it wants to put the application on my computer. However, it seems to feel the need to put the Applications on my C drive, despite the fact that I have Itunes installed on the H Drive and I have SPECIFICALLY told itunes to put my media on the H drive. It stores all of my music and videos on the H drive where I told it to put it, but Applications are buried in the C drive. If I get too many applications in itunes, it will clog up my C drive and then I am in serious trouble.

My Question is: How do I do a symlink in Windows XP to redirect the files that itunes tries to put in the C Drive to the proper location in the H drive? I have tried moving them manually, but then iTunes doesn't know where to find the applications. If there is a symlink, or a symlink equivalent, can someone tell me how to do it? Thanks.
  2. jonmisurda

jonmisurda New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Vista adds real symbolic links to NTFS, but since Windows 2000 there are things called Junction Points that I think will do what you want:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point

Be careful though, they seem more like hard links than symbolic ones, so don't delete them without reading a lot first or you'll lose all your files.
  3. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, but is it possible to do this across 2 drives?
  4. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Right click -> new -> shortcut?
  5. jonmisurda

jonmisurda New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
  6. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok, I tried that Junction 1.05 thing, but when I tried to open it, it showed a command prompt windows with words for half a second. Then the window closed. I don't know how to work this thing. Does it do this for everyone? I can't figure out how to contact the creator of the program.