Switching from a 2G to a 3G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by E93, Sep 6, 2009.

1. E93

E93 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Alright, here's the dealio.
    I currently have a jailbroken 3.0 2G iPod Touch.
    I'm thinking about selling it to a friend, and here are my questions regarding that and the possible buy of a 3G.

1. Should I restore my iPod before I sell it so it will be like new, and unjailbroken?
    2. Should I backup my ipod, so that when I get a new one, I can restore from backup and still have my old songs and apps? And will that mean that it will also be jailbroken already?
    3. Will I have any problems with jailbreaking it when it comes out?
    4. Will I have any problems restoring from a jailbroken ipod touch's backup onto a 3G?
    5. Should I just start anew and just resync my old songs?
    6. When will an unthethered jailbreak be ready? I know the King Chronic guy said that there will already be a tethered one.
    7. Anything else you would like to add that you think is helpful, I would appreaciate.

Thanks for the help.
  2. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My opinion:
    1. Ask him if he wants it jailbroken or not. Doesn't matter.
    2. You can back it up if you wanna, all the apps should go onto the 3g w/ no problems. And No, your 3g won't be jailbroken even it you restore it from the 2g backup (not even sure if that's possible)
    3. Yes, no one knows how to jailbreak the 3g yet b/c it isn't out yet (no one's even sure it's coming out, but were hopeful). It will be SEVERAL months before the 3g is jailbroken.
    4. Don't know.
    5. It would probably be for the best.
    6. Several months is my guess... I mean look at the 1g and 2g when the untethered jailbreaks came out for them.... I'm sure dev-team will be on it asap.
    7. Plan on not having a 3g jailbroken for a while and I will start over with music and movies etc that I had on my 2g. As far as apps go, like I said you should be able to easily put them on your 3g with no problems.
  3. kalpa11

kalpa11 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well you can't say several months prolly less
  4. E93

E93 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Alright dude, thanks a bunch.

One last thing though,
    Do you think there were be any problems if we are both using the same backups from the same computer, if he never restores it?
    My iTunes account will probably still be synced to it, right?

I'll probably just have him restore it and create a completely new account and all that stuff. Plus, jailbreaking nowadays is sooooooo easy to do.
  5. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well, there's a place in itunes where you can reset the account it asks you for when you click on something to download and a place on your ipt to dis-associate what account you're downloading with (here are both)...
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19608

Read through this, provides much more detail than I could give you. Lots of good info.
    (I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. Just passing along info I've gathered thus far.)

Oh yeah, and as for if you want him to create a whole new account on iTunes... check this out:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11171
    here you can do it for free.
  6. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The 1G did not take several months for an untethered jailbreak.
    The 2G jailbreak was completed long before its release; the Dev Team was waiting for the 3GS to be released so the exploit would work on both devices.
  7. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What were the dates that the untethered PROPERLY WORKING jailbreak was released for the 1G?? And as for the 2G jailbreak, this thread: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155816 came out in March, 6 months after ipt2g release. I'm not saying this was the first day it was possible. But I am inferring that it wasn't out the first week of September. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

3G: Oh..... well could you point me to the untethered jailbreak for the 3G then please?????? ............ What do you mean it isn't out!?!

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailbreaking

The iPhone jailbreak was released July 10, 2007. This jailbreak was compatible with the iPod touch, which was released September 5 that same year. Hmm...

http://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=0x24000_Segment_Overflow

Look at the "Timing Impact" section there. It doesn't specifically give a date when 24kpwn was completed, but obviously it was before NitroKey was released.
  9. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  10. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    completely OT, but does "E93" have anything to do with BMW convertibles by any chance?