swap ipod touch harddrives

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cgsk8freak, Apr 26, 2009.

1. cgsk8freak

cgsk8freak New Member

Ive got a brand new ipod touch 8gig. I was wondering if i can buy another ipod, a broken one with a bigger hard drive, and swap them out so i my ipod becomes a 32 gig? Is that possible or legal?
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    No it's not possible because the iPod Touch/iPhone do not have Hard Drives. You can switch Hard Drives between iPod Classic/5.5 Gen since they actually have Physical Hard Disk Drives. But not the iPhone/iPod Touch.
  3. Tourniquet.

Tourniquet. Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    and there also comes a large risk of doing that, i think if you want to switch hard drives( which they dont have) you cant put it back together.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. cgsk8freak

cgsk8freak New Member

I see. I remember it was very easy to disassemble an old ipod, any ipod other then touch basically. If the touch doesnt have a hard drive, what does it use? fkash drive? There is no way to switch that either? If apple can disassemble and reassemble them, so can others.
  5. Deathmax

Deathmax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    They are soldered onto the PCB, so unless you are very patient in unsoldering the pins and soldering the new one, I don't think your going to be changing the flash memory any time soon. Not to mention the pins are VERY tiny.
  6. Matt-09

Matt-09 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If would void your warranty for sure.
  7. element166

element166 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Matt-09 Im sorry but your avatar makes me mad so much lmao i dont know why ....

OT: You cant change it because its flash memory but if your near wifi alot you can get ZumoDrive app its a virtual hard drive... and it quite cheap