Swap 2.1 software ownership?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by RainbowRakkel, Nov 5, 2008.

1. RainbowRakkel

RainbowRakkel New Member

I bought my boyfriend the 2.1 update for his itouch on my computer (and thus my iTunes account)

Now when he tries to sync on his computer, it's asking for my password.
    Is there a way he can restore without losing the 2.1 update I bought for him?
    Or how can I swap the registration to him?

I asked Apple through emails and they had no idea what I was asking.

Please Register or Log in to view images

--Rakkel
  2. Bazuny

Bazuny New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Restore your Os or ipod? Ipod:You can regester your itunes account to his computer and re DL the software i believe. OS: same thing =) and if you meen restoreing his ipod you can just restore then install the Firmware on his ipod
  3. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    not a smart move there honey.
    well... yeah.. change your password and then give it to him...

Plus next time SEACH google before you buy it....
    or ask felix to help you out.
  4. RainbowRakkel

RainbowRakkel New Member

Yea, I was talking about restoring the ipod.

Right now if he wants to use the ipod, he must connect with my account name and password. He'd like to have his own account on it, but I'm afraid that if we do that, the 2.0 software I bought and installed on his ipod touch will no longer be available. And I'll be sitting here with a 2nd gen ipod touch, and purchased 2.0 software that I don't need anymore.

Can he connect with my name in iTunes, 'check for purchases', download the 2.0 software to his computer, and then sign in as his account with the 2.0 software still available to install? Or is it all stuck to my account?

---
    And sorry Exit1010, you confused me. And who's Felix?
  5. andree

andree New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    He should've gotten his for free, i did the same thing when my gf paid for it I was still on 1.1.4 while she still didn't have an itunes account, whereas i got it for free when i updated with the same itunes account (i didnt know the first time it would happen), itunes is gonna bug you a couple of times, but after a while, it will go away...

However, he does need his own itunes account if he wants to buy games, music... and sync it to his ipod
  6. RainbowRakkel

RainbowRakkel New Member

What? How did you get it for free? I'm so confused.

Are you saying you opened her account on your computer and updated the iTunes software there? And after doing that, it gave you the update? Kinda like checking for purchases and it found it needed to be downloaded?

And yea, that's why I'm trying to get the software under his account name, so that he can download apps and such with his name and password and not mine.
  7. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    you should just be able to log out of your itunes account and restore his ipod with 2.1, setting it up as a new ipod. Once the firmware is on your computer, I don't think it matters who bought it. If it asks you to upgrade/buy the firmware, say no and then shift click the restore button and find the new firmware.
  8. andree

andree New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Haha, I was surprised as well, when I used the same account to update my iPod to 2.1, it just told me that i already paid for it and that i could get the update for free! I don't know if it matters, but the first update was done on a PC, with my account and then I updated on my Mac with my account as well.

I'm guessing its asking with a message whether you should 'transfer' or 'don't transfer', i think i just kept on clicking on don't transfer a couple of times and then i was able to sync all the apps and music to my ipod without any trouble..

But he, of course, needs to have his own itunes account if he wants to get all the apps...