Super Monkey Ball is 30 mb!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by jniranjan, Jul 8, 2008.

1. jniranjan

jniranjan Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey Guys. Well guess what? With my super bionic eyes, I've found out that Super Monkey Ball, to be released on iTunes and the App Store on July 11 will be 30mb in size! Look below for a screenie.

Source: http://images.apple.com/itunes/store/images/appstore_hero20080624.png

Please Register or Log in to view images

credit to malibusurfer93 for the image

I have 2 views on this.

1.POSITIVE VIEW- Game publishers like Electronic Arts use platforms like Playstation's and XBOX's to sell their games. These consoles use DVD and Blu-ray disks to hold game data, which are in excess of 4.7 GB. EA makes games like Grand Theft Auto Vice City, and Need for speed Prostreet. Seeing that they will be bringing games to the iPod and iPhone , one would expect that the game play and graphics would be close to those of PSN's and XBOX's. So therefore the size will need to be big to compensate for the quality of the game.
    I believe that the iPod Touch and iPhone can be extremely good gaming devices, and we will see, very soon, games being very similar in graphics and gameplay, to rival PSN's and XBOX's . So don't be shocked, if you see in the future, games for the iPod Touch and iPhone in excess of 200 mb! Yes, that sounds big, but when you compare it to a PS2, 3 or XBOX disk, that's nothing, and your still getting close to the same quality of gameplay.

2.NEGATIVE VIEW- Yea, ok, so Super Monkey Ball has 110 levels and all that. But think about all the 6 million 1st Generation iPhone owners who have to deal with a slow GPRS or EDGE connection, and have no access to wi-fi. Do you know how long that would take to download 30mb! And what about those who don't have a GPRS data plan, and there just on p-a-y-g. Imagine the cost for them of downlaoding Super Monkey Ball or any other large game for that matter! How does Apple expect people to download a $10 game, and on top of that, pay another $10!

OK, so I've outlined 2 views or reactions that you might have by seeing the fact that's it's 30 mb. Tell me which view you agree with.

Attached Files:

2. sk8ter123

sk8ter123 New Member

you are right that is big
  3. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Only compared to Installer, which, even when you had TONS of apps installed, hardly took up anything. Anyway these apps are better, and Super Monkey Ball has at least 110 levels so, its not bad.

Anyway, 30mb is equal to only 7-8 Songs, So its not that bad.
  4. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

An average song is only about 3MB. So, it'd be worth about 10 songs.
  5. cripesonfriday

cripesonfriday New Member

You must be using some poor quality mp3s if a 3 minute song takes up 3mb, thats 128 kbps at most.
  6. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

Most of my songs that range from 3-5 minutes are either 3-4 megabytes, and they're excellent quality.
  7. iTz MyIpod

iTz MyIpod New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    StillNot bad If you dont put alot of videos on them :S
  8. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

I have Starship Troopers, two Extreme Engineering episodes, 5 music videos, and about 100 podcasts of BestofYoutube videos. I have about 1.30 gig left. I gotta take 'em off lol.
  9. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well it's like Neverball (it had 25MB i think?) ;p To compare DS version of SMB is inside 64MB rom (unused space of ROM chip is filled with zeros)
  10. markomite

markomite New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    32 GB iTouches FTW!! yayy