Super Mario Galaxy 2: Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by PriteSprite, May 13, 2010.

1. PriteSprite

PriteSprite Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, it's May and there's only 10 days left until SMG2 comes out, the wait is almost over. We shall soon experience the first true sequel to a 3D Mario game which will probably be an amazing platformer for the ages. Get ready for another out of this world adventure full of surprises.

Anyway, this is pretty much an SMG2 discussion topic. At this point I'm curious about 2 things.....

Story - Why is Mario going back in space? (I know it has already been revealed, but don't spoil it).

Will this be the last Mario game? I mean.......Mario has been going for almost 30 years now and there's nowhere he can go after space, unless they have an SMG3......which personally, I wouldn't mind.
  2. longcat93

longcat93 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    haha i can't wait either. but honestly as long as there will be an audience Mario Games will live continue to be made
  3. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I can't wait. It will be awesome!!
  4. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    But one can sense that they're running out of ideas, I mean, 8 Mario Kart games? 8 Mario Party games? about a dozen other spinoffs?
  5. PriteSprite

PriteSprite Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well that's true, but what can they add to the game to make it feel fresh? What would be better than galaxies? The problem is, too many Super Mario Galaxies would kill the franchise...so what can come next?
  6. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Absolutely anything is possible. Look at Paper Mario, who would have thought of that? Heck, even Digital Mario is possible.
  7. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Asking where Mario can go is kind of a stupid question imo, I mean look where Mario has been, specifically in Super Mario 64, he was in the castle, which contained all these separate worlds. So basically Mario can go anywhere that allows him to easily access several other places.

I just recently played Super Mario Galaxy, and I must say, as far as the plot line goes it's pretty weak. I mean I beat the game and honestly I couldn't tell you why I was doing anything, other than Peach got kidnapped...which has been the plot since day 1. So to make a sequel off a fairly weak and somewhat uninteresting plot is kinda silly. They could've just retained the concepts of galaxy and named it something else.

Speaking of SM64, I think that was the best one tbh, I really liked having a fairly interesting central location and a simple painting that showed you what you were going to be dealing with. Also the idea of making separate worlds that just existed out there for the sake of existing was nice. My biggest problem with Galaxy were the camera angles and physics, and both were caused by the small individual planets being spherical, the camera didn't know how to deal with them.

I guess...I feel like making a Super Mario 64 sequel or even a Sunshine sequel would be better than a Galaxy sequel. I'm not a huge fan of the Wiimote either...so they'd be a great Gamecube release

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. PriteSprite

PriteSprite Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Another aspect I liked about Super Mario 64 is that you were free to roam every world. One true example is how you can get nearly all 6 stars in each one without having to get the one that you chose on the title screen. This gives you more freedom, and hence more replay value. Super Mario Galaxy is a linear game, where there is a path determined for you to follow, and you aren't free to explore the galaxy.

Yes, I bet that the Mario games in the future will have a closer storyline to follow, where you actually feel for Mario, and what he is doing. Something similar to the storyline of the new Metroid game, where the story evolves around Samus, instead of Samus following the story.

I would love to have a recreation of Super Mario 64 in higher detail and smoother controls, but a Galaxy sequel is just as thrilling to me

Please Register or Log in to view images