Summing up the iPod touch 3rd Generation, with a hint of common sense.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by _JKK_, Aug 15, 2009.

1. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    iPod touch 3rd Generation

Please Register or Log in to view images

Summing it up.

The Point of this.
    With all of the rumors and speculation swirling around, and other devices entering the playing field, it becomes difficult to know what is likely (and, for that matter possible) on the next version of our iPod touch. I'm attempting to sum it all up, and to possibly clear some things up.

Why an update is needed.
    Starting this September, the iPod touch will be getting its first taste of true competition, coming from the Zune HD. The Zune HD includes an HD radio, an OLED screen, ability to play HD videos, and a Tegra graphics card, along with other features.
    Now, why should this concern the iPod touch 2G? Because the Zune HD has a lot of potential, along with some features that justify some of the missing features (such as a speaker). To completely fend off this device, the iPod touch needs an update in its arsenal of features. Here are the ones that are possible for the next revision of the iPod touch:
    • Faster processor, comparable to the iPhone 3GS's.
    • Compass feature of the iPhone 3GS (magnetometer)
    • Updated graphics chip, also from the iPhone 3GS.
    • Camera (likely from the iPhone 3GS, but possible not)
    • Internal Microphone
    • Oleophobic Screen Coating (used on iPhone 3GS to help with fingerprints/ smudging).
    • GPS (possibly with map packs buyable via the iTunes Store).
    • 802.11n WiFi support

Faster Processor.
    My argument is for this. Why would Apple take their time to add support for this processor in their OS, if they weren't going to continue using. Also, with support for OpenGL 2.0, this represents the next generation in Apple's gaming section of the App Store. It would be insane for them to only include it on their iPhone, if they want developers to take advantage of it.

Magnetometer (compass feature of the 3G.
    My argument is for this. Why not? Sure it is somewhat of a gimmick, but it is advertisable, and some apps will use it. Also, it could be another style of a game control.

Updated Graphics Chip.
    My argument is for this. Basically, my argument is the same for this as the processor. Why wouldn't they? There is no real reason that they wouldn't.

Camera.
    My argument is for this. Although useful, an updated processor, graphics card, and compass feature are not good advertising points. A camera is. I think that the camera will be the iPod touch 3rd Generation's claim to fame, what makes it stand out, what makes people think they need to run out and buy it. However, Apple may lock this down, for no apparent reason, so only the built-in App can use it, so the iPhone will still have a leg up. Perhaps, though, if that happens, it will be unlocked with a simple update.

Internal Microphone.
    My argument is for this. Besides the obvious need for it if the iPod touch has a video-recording capable camera, I think that the Voice Memos application (included in the 3.0 update) is a some substantial evidence. However, I believe that we may see (initially) Apple locking this done to only their Apps.

Oleophobic Coating.
    My argument is for this. This is Apple's response to the screen being to easily smudged, so I see it on every device from here-on out.

GPS chip.
    My argument is against this. Although this could obviously be useful, there still needs to be something for future models to include, and I think that if we get away with a camera and a mic, then we will be good to go.

Where do these rumors come from?
    The rumors (and guesses, and speculation) come from many sources. Some of these sources are leaked case pictures, analysts, and popular conception.

Leaked Cases, and their credibility.
    Leaked case drawings surface every year, and they are usually a pretty good indication to the appearance. Why would a company gamble thousands of dollars to design, and produce, a case that is likely not going to happen; they wouldn't. They have had either some kind of tip off, or possibly even been notified by Apple, to try to have some accesories ready at the device's launch.

Popular Conception.
    These are the rumors that everyone knows about. So, why would this be used as proof (to a certain extent)? Because, as everything else, this had to of had a basis in truth. Perhaps an Apple employee told a friend, and then a friend blogged it, and then someone else takes it to another site. And somewhere in the mix, the whole 'An Apple employee told me' got left somewhere. You just never know.

802.11n WiFi support.
    I am unsure on this one. If this is real (and there is evidence to support it) I see it more likely to be unlocked under the 4.0 software update. Perhaps streaming movies via iTunes is one of the features for the 4.0 update, which will be launched with an updated iPhone.
  2. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Very explanitory.
    you defend your agreements and dissagreements well.
  3. Coasterboi

Coasterboi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Agreed, but wouldn't one think Apple would implement a GPS chip in the device anyway for the purposes of geo-tagging pictures taken with the camera? Geo-tagging is used in the iPhone and many new camer models, and with the newly released 'places' feature in iPhoto, it is very realistic. Apple could 'lock' the chip making it used only for this, and perhaps unlocking it for real GPS uses in 4.0 next year.
  4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    That is the only reason that I would believe that there would be a GPS chip. But hey, if you can get a majority, I'll change it. Don't get me wrong, a GPS chip would be awesome.
  5. Cam

Cam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    ....So it's the iPhone 3GS without the Mobile Baseband?
  6. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yuppers.

7. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

Think about it. If we went back to March and you leaked out a rumor saying there will be no cosmetic changes, along with a digital compass ,people would probably call shinanigans. I know I sure would.

The assumptions your making over the next generation iPod touch seem just too obvious. Sure, I can see apple giving the next iPod a camera along with faster processing and something that we would never think of. What I can't see is them just copying and adding on every feature the iPhone 3GS has, without it's cellular abilities.

To sum it up, I can't see apple doing most of these features. They will bring a new feature that nobody has really thought about too much. I'd put money down on that.
  8. Cam

Cam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The iPod touch is supposed to be a low-end, phoneless iPhone. If Apple followed the TC's instructions, iPhone 3G/3GS sales will hurt.

Apple will most likely give the existing iPod touch more storage capacity, an LED screen, a better CPU/GPU, and the low-end camera found in the old iPhones.
  9. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    JKK I agree with everything you said. no surprise lol. it completely made sense and had very good arguments. I'm really excited and I'm pretty sure you are too. btw congrats on being promoted to devotee...I still have a long way to go
  10. Aprosamurai

Aprosamurai Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    But if that were implemented on the iPod, you would have to have some sort of service provider, they wouldn't just give that for free is the only issue, it would be nice, because I myself like taking pictures, but I doubt it would be free and I doubt it would be a reasonable price coming from Apple. But I like the idea.