Summerboard update bricked my iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by ubernoob84, Dec 10, 2007.

1. ubernoob84

ubernoob84 New Member

I saw a Summerboard update available in installer and I unwittingly went to update all but installer crashed while installing the Summerboard update and kept crashing whenever I open it and retried. I restarted the iPod and it would no longer boot (I guess because the Summerboard software is 'buggered'). My friend has an iPod touch 16GB too and he updated everything that I had, all except for Summerboard (God knows why he left it) and he is totally unaffected.

So here's my fix attempts:
    First I try restore in iTunes, it downloads restore software and restore is initiated and the iPod somehow disconnects (the USB cable is still definitely connected)

I try the same again, unplug and plug in, but this time the iPod is in restore mode due to the previous restore attempt and iTunes refuses to admit that I connect my iPod and it doesn't show it on the left hand pane.

I read up on forcing iPod restores and I do the restore button combination, on/off + home for 10-20 secs then release on/off. The iPod is still in restore mode and still doesn't interface with iTunes, Windows begins to recognise it as hardware and offers to install drivers.

I uninstalled / reinstalled iTunes - same sh*te.

I took my iPod to college where iTunes is installed - same sh*te.

I am in the middle of writing a letter to the manager of the store at which I bought the iPod and claiming a refund or replacement by way of my statutory rights as a paying customer.

Anyone have the answer before I take the letter to the shop tomorrow?
  2. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    it is completly impossible to brick your ipod unless you throw a brick at it....

try updating your usb ports or go to a friends or school and use a MAC
  3. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Yes, entering recovery mode is the correct thing to do now. If it's not working, you're not doing it right.

In the future, should this happen again, just SSH in and fix the permissions. You'll avoid the whole mess.

Um, no. If you break it, it is not the store's responsibility to refund your money or replace the unit. "Oh my God, I broke my pencil. Some Manager, give me a new one or my money back!" No, life just simply doesn't work that way.
  4. ubernoob84

ubernoob84 New Member

I don't have access to a Mac at all, I've already tried at college.

Being in restore mode, the store can't know that I have altered the software, so actually, I am returning a product which malfunctioned.
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

..unless they just kick it out of restore mode and look at it. [Which, by the way, you can also do (iPHUC)]
  6. opsguy

opsguy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes SkylarEC is absolutely correct. The store will find out as they will keep a record of the return.

You are better off just restoring it. I know you said it is already in restore mode and would not connect. I had this same thing happen a couple times. Be patient and do this.

Let it sit not connected to PC for 2 or 3 hours. In the mean time reboot your PC and do not open iTunes.

Later you can connect the iPod to your PC and if it is still in restore mode iTunes should open and recognize it. Next use the restore method where you hold the shift key and press restore. Navigate to where you saved a copy of firmware 1.1.1 and choose that. Now it should restore to 1.1.1 and you can jailbreak and go from there.
  7. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    A couple more tips, just in case.

First, Apple often advises to uninstall iTunes completely then reinstall it (see details here).

Then other people who had a similar problem seem to have worked around it by creating a new iPod account and (shift-)restoring. Maybe worth a try.
  8. frizzastyle

frizzastyle New Member

i am having the exact same problem; installed the new summerboard, none of apps opened, kept on reverting to springboard, and now when i boot i get the never-ending apple logo screen.

i do still have access to the iPod via SSH, which files/folders would i need to make alterations to?

this is my last resort before restore : (
  9. ubernoob84

ubernoob84 New Member

I got my iPod back from the store today, no voided warrantee no questions asked, fully working.

But, it has firmware version 1.1.2

Please Register or Log in to view images

, I'm not sure if it's been updated or wiped and factory installed. If it's just updated, I can restore to version 1.1.1 and jailbreak again.
  10. frizzastyle

frizzastyle New Member

wow! that's really quite cool. which store did you get it fixed by?
    if it was an Apple Store, iwill be amazed, as when i took back my iPod video there to get it fixed, they got really b*tchy with the whole warranty thing, and i ended up not being able to get it fixed.