SummerBoard GONE!! Free your iPod :)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by kappatango, Jan 22, 2008.

1. kappatango

kappatango New Member

I was having a few concerns over the battery life on my ipod recently. I searched abit and found a few posts blaming summerboard for the problem.

Well, I removed the Summerboard app and sure enough, my battery is now behaving alot better.

I have ssh'd in and manually change the icons in the Applications folders - which works a treat.

Do I miss a background?? Nope, the black screen actually looks clean and cool.

I did get a warning that maybe some 3rd party apps wouldn't run after install - I havent found any yet. I don't think I had any of the Summerboard dependant apps installed

Please Register or Log in to view images

Did any9one else do this and find he same results - or is it the Placebo effect?
  2. Joeyjoejoejenkins

Joeyjoejoejenkins New Member

You might be right!

I noticed that the battery power has been disappearing a whole lot faster since I JB'd the Touch and installed 3rd party apps. So, I've been removing them one by one to discover the cause.

Also, when I uploaded a number of themes through Summerboard, my accelerometer stopped working too...
  3. ben471

ben471 New Member

That warning is because of the multiple pages of apps. Since you can't have multiple pages without summerboard you risk not being able to open the apps on the second page when uninstall.

Tried this once a while ago, I found it too much work to change all of the icons myself and I love my background.
  4. kappatango

kappatango New Member

Thats why I use catagories

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. XyracX

XyracX New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    How long is the running time of the iPod with and without the summerboard?
  6. kappatango

kappatango New Member

Off the Apple site (http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html) :"the ipod touch has 22 hours of music playback"

on the right hand side of the webpage, in a news-like section
  7. tgbnhy

tgbnhy New Member

Are you sure you get better battery life time without SM?
    Cuz I realy lika my Leopard skin and don't want to go back to the boring original =(

But I do have notised a shortet battery time, and problems chargeing it. At a maximul it goes to 94%, sometimes only tp like 86% or 84% =/
  8. Mahmoud

Mahmoud New Member

Are you charging it with the usb cable plugged to the computer only? From what i hear, the usb cable to pc charges the battery up to 80% to 90% of it's capacity. In the long run, this is not good for the battery. If you plug your iPod to a wall socket, it will charge to 100% (and therefore you will need to buy a charger).

p.s.: I am in no way a professional... i am just repeating what i was told at futureshop.
  9. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I haven't noticed any significant decrease in the battery life of my iPod with Summerboard installed. With my average daily usage (~2-1/2 hours music a day, playing with various apps and such occasionally) I only drain about 15-20% of my battery. More if I'm using various apps heavily. With strictly music (no app usage other than the music app), ~2-1/2 hours of usage only drains my battery 8-10% at most, which is about on par with Apple's specs. (This is with the screen off when not needed, which is how Apple determines battery life anyway).
  10. tgbnhy

tgbnhy New Member

I have in iPod charger (one that I plug in to the wall) that I bought for my iPod Nano. But when I use that to charge my Touch it only drains battery :S If I plug it in, in the evening, the next morgning when I check on my Touch, I get the 10% warning message.

It is not an originaly Apple charger but it is a carget specialy made fot iPods (it isn't an universial charger that you plug in your USB-cable in, it's a real iPod connector on the charger).