Suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mapleleafmenace, Nov 25, 2008.

1. mapleleafmenace

mapleleafmenace New Member

Well I just got my lovely, lovely 32GB 2g yesterday which I have dubbed Touchpod Deluxe and I'm thrilled. It's even better than I had imagined.

Please Register or Log in to view images

What I'm looking for now though is a good line-in mic that can be used as a hands-free with my existing earbuds. I've read suggestions for the Griffin Smart Talk but after researching it and reading reviews I'm a little wary - apparently most reviewers had issues with intermittent connectivity after only a couple weeks.

So can anyone either suggest to me a solid line-in mic of similar design to the Smart Talk, or offer a suitable rebuttal for the less-than-stellar reviews I've read?

And also, I saw a Phillips mic at Target for like 10 bucks - does anyone have any experience with this one? It seems this kind is harder to find now that everyone has gone BlueTooth with their cell phones.
  2. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I have no experience with the Phillips mic. If you purchase it, I would like to hear about your experience.

I did purchase Griffin Smart Talk. I am not tough on stuff, like some. I would not put my Touch 2G in the same pocket as the earbuds or anything else. I also added a soft cloth case for eyeglasses, because I did get a small scratch from a zipper pocket on my jacket. The Griffen Smart Talk has been handled gently, never pulling on one end for example.

I did have intermittant performance, attributable however to the fring "web app". I hope fring improved. Meanwhile, I will try IM"plus" for iPhone. I am also watching Truphone, to release a "web app".

I know the "intermittant" problem was fring, because I tried the "test" call each time I had the problem on my side. I also got Voxie "web app" and at 11 bps the audio on the Griffin Smart Talk was fine. It was excellent at the "better" rated audio, of course.

That is my experience.

Oh, test it on an audio recording because it has a switch on the mic.
  3. mapleleafmenace

mapleleafmenace New Member

Thanks! I'm generally pretty careful about my toys, as well. If the intermittent connection between Touch and mic was due to some kind of Fring bug, and if no other recommendations come up in this thread I may just put down the 15-20 bucks for a Griffin.

Depending on how long that takes to arrive though I may also pick up the Phillips just because it's cheap and available right now. I'm eager to begin stickin' it to the phone company!

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'll be sure to post a small review of the Phillips if that ends up being what I do. I really wish the stores had test models of these things, too! I hate buying something on faith alone.