Sudden movements?

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by SiXAXiS, Dec 28, 2009.

1. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Ok so i accidentally did this a few times, but when i was picking up my Macbook Pro 13", i herd a *zzzppp* kinda noise from the harddrive side.

Is this the harddrive arm parking with the Sudden motion sensor, or the head scratching my HDD to hell?
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

When you.. picked it up? Was it open, or were you opening it? And was there something in the CD/DVD drive?
  3. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    it was open, and nothing in the cd drive. The noise comes from the below the keyboard on the right side of the trackpad.

Also, it does that when its closed too.
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Weird.. I never had that noise, and the hard drive shouldn't even be on if it's closed, unless you have InsomniaX open.
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    There is an accelerometer that causes the hard disk to stop spinning when it detects sudden movement. This is a safety feature to cut down on damage during drops. It's also not a good idea to move the computer when it is awake--wait until its sleeping, which brings me to the second point: Macs, by default don't sleep /right/ when you close the lid, all the contents of the RAM is written to the disk in case of power loss. Depending on how much RAM you have, it could take 10-30 seconds. That's 10-30 seconds of you thinking your computer is sleeping but it's really not. I personally opted to skip the RAM dump and sleep immediately. Anyway, the computer is smarter than you are, that is the simple explanation.