Sudden and unexplained bricking of ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blackjack, Mar 4, 2010.

1. blackjack

blackjack New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi Guys...

I have been having troubles with my ipod touch. I have an Ipod that is 16gb capacity and I think it is 2G. Some time ago, I jailbreaked the ipod using blackra1n programme. I downloaded Cydia and Rock and that was about it. I didnt download anything from those sites. About two months after the download, I turned the ipod on and it was stuck on the page. It wouldn't go to any application or other pages. I pressed and held the Hold button to completely turn it off and restart as this had helped in the past. This time, the ipod just turned itself off without giving me the option to slide and turn off. Since then, I have tried so many options to try to restore. I have googled a lot and tried every method possible including changing USB ports, creating new accounts on my computer, starting and deleting itunes and upgrading to newer versions. I have held the home and hold button together for a number of times and it always results in itunes recognising an ipod in recovery mode. When i try to restore it, it goes through a couple of screens of extracting software, varifying restore with Apple and preparing the ipod for restore. This is where it stays. The progress bar just goes and goes for about five minutes and then says, 'Error. The ipod could not be restored. Error code 1603.' Sometimes it also says error code 1604 but mainly its 1603. I have tried most of the methods with no results. I am a newb with the ipod and any help in restoring my ipod would be greatly appreciated.
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  3. blackjack

blackjack New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi Studangerous,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Unfortunately, I have tried the steps outlined in the thread posted by you a number of times. I have been trying them three times a day. Nothing seems to be working. It feels like, just when the Itunes gets to the restore point (after going through extracting the software and then varifying it with Apple), it hangs and goes on for about five minutes with the progress bar saying 'Preparing ipod for restore' and then returns the error code message.
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Have you tried redownloading the firmware file and putting into DFU mode to force restore that way? There is no way that your iPod touch is bricked by the way. There will be away out of this but the error could be from any single one or combination of issues.
  5. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    sorry for off topic but ive always wonders how cant u brick a ipod?

try a different pc, redownload firmware, different usb port, reinstall itunes
  6. blackjack

blackjack New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi Studangerous,

Being a newb, I am unaware of some methods suggested by you. Now, I havetried golding the home and hold button together and then releasing the hold button (once the ipod turns of) but holding on to the home button for another ten seconds. Now once out of fivetimes, I see a notification on the bottom right tray that my computer has located a new device and I have entered the DFU mode. But, itunes starts up and says that it has recognised an ipod in recovery mode and needs to be restored. I press ok and then click on restore and same thing happens. You might have to give me somedetailed instructions as to how to best use the DFU moe. Thanks again by the way for your prompt attention to my earlier reply.
  7. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    itunes says "recovery" BUT if just the backlight is on ( no images just lit up) its in dfu mode.
  8. blackjack

blackjack New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    whats the next course of action after being in dfu mode?
  9. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    plug into itunes and it will say ipod in recovery mode yada yada. click on restore and let it download the firmware and hopefully it restores
  10. blackjack

blackjack New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sorry Ryan,

It does that but same code again.... and no restore. The information box says that I need to restore and update and I click yes and nothing happens. Could it be because I had jailbroken the ipod and apple is punishing me.. I know it sounds like a stupid question. Sorry