I used the last 8.0 version of Itunes on a computer that had not had Itunes installed on it before. Put the Ipod into DFU mode, Shift Restore, pointed to the 2.2.1 fimware and thankfully it worked. I know this is common knowledge but I wanted to make sure there was at least a post that dealt with the 1G Ipod and not the 2G. Firmware 3.0 worked OK for a short while and they it started getting weird. First thing I noticed was the Ipod Touch started booting straight into a lock screen. It also took forever and a day to turn off and also took an equally long time to eventually boot into the aforementioned lock screen. Those were enough for me to want to ditch 3.0. I have no plans to ever upgrade my 1G back to 3.0. I just see no need whatsoever to deal with that again. When I get a 2G model I may and then again I may not upgrade it.