Substitution of "The illegal Installer"

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Shawa, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I've seen it many times over, a new user posts about the pirated app installer, and proceed to get infracted, banned. Perhaps vBulletin's automated censor could be used to substitute its name with "[Redacted]" or something similar, a link to the rules maybe. This would reduce moderation work; it wouldn't have to be manually edited.
    Would this be viable? On many other forum engines its a simple pane in the ACP, vBulletin shouldn't be too different.
  2. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    We shouldn't even have to do this. The new users should be smart enough to read the rules on this site before they post. Then, when they (The new user) eventually do post... They should have the knowledge to follow the rules. If they don't, they learn the hard way and get banned. Either way, It will bring work. I think it would be less work for the mods to just edit the post and infract the poster, rather than the new member constantly asking why the post wouldn't go through, Which will then have to be answered and explained by someone.

The bottom line is, The mods get to everything so quickly that I don't see the need in doing this. It would lower the amount of work they have to do, But It may also be pointless if the user doesn't understand why the word was redacted and filtered. In my eyes, its fine how it is now.
  3. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    In a perfect world, there shouldn't be the need for a crime & punishment section, people just follow the rules. But the point is, people don't, they don't bother to even look at them.

I'm saying that if the only reason we can't mention said installer's name is to prevent it from being advertised, then there should be a filter. This ensures that it doesn't slip through the cracks.
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I agree. Also, I think it's safe to say that the majority of users posting about piracy don't even know what the word "redacted" means.
  5. pac12321

pac12321 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ^^^^ i lol'ed thats totally true (prolly)
  6. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    On topic please? What do you think of the idea?

In the meantime, I ran the installer through a Google search, and these are the results:

Please Register or Log in to view images

"In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 278 already displayed."​

Not to be saying that the moderators aren't doing a great job, they can only do so much, they're only human. But this just shows how many times it did slip through the cracks, when a post wasn't reported for piracy.
    If the auto-replace was in use, these kinds of results wouldn't exist, and the installer would have 278 less possible referrals.
  7. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Whoa. That google search is insane.

Hopefully they're all just old posts or something.
  8. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Pretty sure they are, but all of them couldve been prevented with the auto censor thingy.
  9. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    If there was an auto-censor, how would we easily catch people? Like other problems, though technological solutions might sound like a good idea, it turns out that social solutions are much more effective. For example, new users see a huge red text for a few days reminding them not to discuss piracy... implementing that reduced the amount of inappropriate posts by new users repeatedly. So, it's a well-intended idea, but really, we are better off just working on more the "people" problem in this case.
  10. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Users could report posts with the "replaced" text. For example, if a post looked like this:

Users would probably report it.