Stupid WiFi Issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by just2good4u3434, Sep 29, 2008.

1. just2good4u3434

just2good4u3434 New Member

I have a Netgear router
    iPod touch with firmware 2.1

I just recently got my touch and it has been able to connect to my home network, with WPA encryption just fine. All of a sudden yesterday it is unable to connect.

Now most of the time my network wont even show up under "Choose a network" and when it does I type in the pass phrase and it says Unable to join the network.

I restarted the ipod and even restored the firmware. I aso restarted the router, but nothing seems to work.

Its odd because wifi was working fine and out of no where it is unable to connect even though no settings were changed.

I've read through many topics and none of the responses fix my problem... please help!
  2. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    well this happened to me you need to start from scratch on your router like rebuild the entire thing
    then hope it works
    if not try a restore
  3. just2good4u3434

I already restored, but I'll try resetting my router. Thanks
  4. just2good4u3434

Well I tried restoring my iPod and I completely reset my router, but neither worked. Its definately a problem on the iPod end, but what I dont understand is why it would randomly stop working if no settings were changed/ no physical damage was done?

Any other suggestions. I'm completely clueless as to what to do. I'm downloading 2.1 firmware from a different source and I'm going to try restoring to that tonight...
  5. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

I had a recent problem with my phones and internet going bonkers, and had my ISP reset everything. Maybe it's an internal problem with WiFi. My best bet for you...

Try something in the house other than your iPod that might connect with WiFi. If that works, then I am unsure about what your iPod Touch is doing. If WiFi doesn't connect that way, then definitely call your ISP and ask.

Otherwise, another idea with trying connecting to your WiFi is try a friend's iPod Touch and see if it works or not. This helps understand if it's the iPod or the router.
  6. just2good4u3434

I have two laptops currently connected to the network and they are both working fine. I doubt there's anything that my ISP can do for me. I'll try to get someone and see if their touch works.
  7. skyhook

skyhook New Member

I'm having the same problem. I have a linksys router with a password, it said it was connected but could not browse any websites or use the maps. I tried unsecuring it and same problem. my laptop connects fine as well as my htc touch...not sure whats going on. I've searched all over the net for solutions and nothing seems to work.
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Similar problem here. iPhone 3G newly purchased and jailbroken. Everything was fine and then a few hours ago the wifi stopped working. The router has other pcs connecting to it and working fine. The iPhone can connect via edge but whenever I try to connect to the router on wifi I'm geting the 'unable to join network' msg... all very strange and I've tried all the basic things to get it to work and fear I may need to restore or, worse, change the phone...
  9. kas187

kas187 New Member

Purchased my ipod touch a few days ago and im having same issues. Been to the story twice already and they suggested two things:
    1. Reset your network settings on the ipod (settings>general>reset>reset network settings)
    2. Hard reset the ipod touch (sleepwake button + home)

These suggestions work for me but im annoyed at the fact that i either have to leave my wifi on or when it is off and it doesn't connect, then i have to turn on the wifi and then hard reset the ipod.

Personally I don't think this an ISP or a router issue as all of my other wireless devices work flawlessly however, im going into the store again and either get a replacement or get a refund. I suggest that if your purchase is recent then do consult your apple store.
  10. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

Has anyone even tried my suggested method of someone's else iPod Touch or iPhone on their same router? Because if their's works, then it's obviously a hardware issue on yours.