Stupid question...

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Intellectual, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Intellectual

Intellectual New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    MY SITUATION:
    Ok, so I open up the app in my SSH browser (the app I am modifying is Chat.app), then I download the head file of the app (When I refer to "head" I mean the file inside the app folder that is usually the largest and usually has a similar name to the app itself, in this case the file is "MobileChat") to my computer - it saves as a ".tar" file. I open this file in the Windows EDIT text editor and make only a slight modification (to be sure that this isn't the cause of the problem, I've also made sure that the line I've modified doesn't refer to any other files) to the code. Then, I save the file as "MobileChat" just as it was in the original app. Before re-uploading I confirm that the file has remained a ".tar. Next, I delete the original "head" file and replace it with my modified one and set the permissions. Finally, I open the app on my iPod and only the Default.png image is displayed, nothing else.

BREAKDOWN
    1. Download head file
    2. Slightly modify on text editor
    3. Save
    4. Replace original head with modified
    5. Set permissions
    6. Open app on iPod and only Default.png opens

THE QUESTION
    If you've had the patience to read this far my question is: How come my modified application isn't working, what am I doing wrong?

NOTE: I've attached my modified version of MobileChat if this helps.

Thank you in advance for your help

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Nickll9009

Nickll9009 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    wow - you CANNOT modify the "head" ( which is actually called the executable ) of an app! That was compiled from source code! The app is screwed if you do that!
  3. AngelSynth

AngelSynth Banned

yeah, modifying an apps executable (especially an Apple app) is no good...

regarding the topic of this thread:
    "There are no such things as stupid questions. Just stupid people"

haha, jk