Stuck on black screen, tried everything but complete restore,

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Scarecr0w, May 4, 2010.

1. Scarecr0w

Scarecr0w New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So I jailbroke my IPT 8GB. it's an MC model, i downgraded it to 3.1.2 FW, and jailbroke it with blackra1n.

I did this months ago i think, and it's been working fine, running third party apps and appstore ones, backgrounder etc.

however, yesterday i powered it off, and since the jailbreak is tethered, i tried to re-jailbreak it again this morning with blackra1n. I've done this several times before and it's been fine.

However. This morning was different. This morning it didn't work. It's all fine, i connect it, run blackra1n, hit make it ra1n and geohot's face comes up on the screen. Then suddenly, it appears to go to full brightness and then goes to a black screen and stays there.

I've tried running blacnra1n several times after that, and i've tried multiple other methods that apparently would work. they haven't.

I theorise that one of two things have caused the problem:
    1. I upgraded to the latest version of itunes yesterday. Might that have caused it?
    2. Also yesterday, rock told me there was some kind of firmware update. I didn't read all of the details, i just hit the 'Update all' button.

I'm wondering if it's best just to restore to my last legit FW backup and start again, losing all my saved data on my games and my notes etc. which would suck, but at least i'd have a working ipod, or if there's another solution, or at least one that allows me to back up all my saved data?

tl;dr ipod broke, what do? see long thing for details.
  2. Gtamario

Gtamario Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Restore, and use Spirit
  3. Scarecr0w

Scarecr0w New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm on the verge of doing that right now. However, that'll delete all my saved games for the games i have, it'll delete all the stuff i have in my notes, some of which is really important.

is there some way i can save that, possibly via SSH or dumping my FW? I'm more concerned about the notes than anything.

EDIT: at half 10 UK time, which is 2 hours 25 mins from now, i'm restoring and spirit jailbreaking. you can continue posting though, probably someone will have the same problem at some point. thanks for any help anyone can give.
    EDIT: time to restore. see you on the other side.
  4. iRule

iRule Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Same here my iPod isnt working either but i mostly use my ipod for gaming and i dont want to lose everything
  5. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    No one is forcing you to update (besides Apple

Please Register or Log in to view images

) if you don't want to update then don't. If you already have an untethered jailbreak then leave it alone!