Stuck in Restore Mode and iTunes won't let you restore? Here's help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lambson804, Jan 29, 2008.

1. lambson804

lambson804 New Member

Alright, so last night after doing about 20 1.1.3 JBs (the last one being IPTM's- no offense dude).. it froze about 10 mins after the install finished... I went to manually shut it down but it came back up in RESTORE MODE.. so I plugged it into my computer and tried to restore it...again...

But then I get an error code (1604) saying that I cannot restore my iPod. Tired a bunch of different times, even with different firmwares to upload/restore...

after doing some searching, I found a post on the Apple Support Forums that worked for me, and hopefully will work for yall too...

IF YOU GET STUCK IN RESTORE MODE AND YOUR iTUNES WILL NOT ALLOW A RESTORE, DO THE FOLLOWING:

Try restarting the Apple Mobile Device service.

In Vista, click start and type services (in the Run search box) and double click that. Right click on the APPLE MOBILE DEVICE service and go "restart". I restarted the iPod Service as well, just for hopes...and then basically re-open iTunes after the "plug iTouch into iTunes" error/info screen and click restore

if you're running XP, just go to search and type in 'services' and you should be able to find it.

as for MAC, I have no idea cause I don't own a mac.. sorry

Please Register or Log in to view images

But i'm sure there's something out there somewhere that will tell you where to find it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps, cause I know I was gettin pissed off when it wouldn't restore..

Let me know how this works for yall
  2. orkodan

orkodan New Member

I had that same problem but restarting those services didn't help and nothing apple suggested did either.

The way I fixed it was to leave my ipod in the state it was in when itunes threw up the error but then just restarted itunes, and clicked restore, it just carried on where it left off before and was restored

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Lensflare

Lensflare New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If I get the error I just use ZiPhone to slap it into DFU mode.