Stuck in DFU mode after accidentally disconnecting!

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by espeorb, Feb 7, 2009.

1. espeorb

espeorb New Member

Around the time that the redsn0w GUI asked for me to disconnect and put it in white screen for the second time, it did not do this. It still seems to be in DFU mode. However, the GUI crashed and also my internet connection died, so I disconnected the iPod Touch again.

Now I have tried lots of things in this small time to get it out of DFU mode. Most everyone says restore it using iTunes, but iTunes doesnt even recognize it. My computer doesn't. It just says "USB Device not recognized". Nothing appears in iTunes where it's supposed to be. I would say that I have bricked my iTouch, but I know that's not possible. So, again, what do I do now? I've learned my lesson - I'm not jailbreaking, or even trying to, again.

And I am in so much **** if I have to get a new iPod Touch, or even send it in, 'cause I made a bet that I could jailbreak it successfully.
  2. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Restart your computer. And sending it in won't work. They will probably realize that someone has tried to jailbreak it. No, it almost certainly isn't bricked. And try on a different computer, if possible. And leave the iPod disconnected for about 10 seconds or so before you replug it in. You could also restart the libusb service.
  3. espeorb

espeorb New Member

Restart: Check.
    Don't send to Apple: Check.
    Not bricked: Okay.
    Try on a different computer: ....Check, now at least.
    Leave it disconnected for 10 seconds or more: Check
    Restart LibUSB: Check.

Any other ideas?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Still waiting to find an answer. Did more research on people who had this happen, I haven't found anyone who says that it doesn't appear in iTunes at all, thus no restoration. It just acts like it's completely malfunctioned and my computer calls it an "unknown device". Every time I hold power and home for 15 seconds while it's connected to the computer, it tries to let the computer recognize it, though the computer still says the same thing.

Gosh dangit. I'll never be trusted again if I can't get it out of DFU mode.
  4. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Try this method of putting it into DFU mode.

Step 1

Please Register or Log in to view images

lug in your iPod to your computer
    Step 2: Hold down home button for 5 seconds
    Step 3: Don't let go of home button, and press power button for 10 seconds
    Step 4: Release power button and just hold home for 30 seconds.

Not mine.
  5. espeorb

espeorb New Member

Uhhh... tried that already. As far as I can tell, it's already in a permanent DFU mode. Completely black screen. When I do that, it TRIES to connect to iTunes or something, maybe boot, but the computer won't recognize it and it doesn't do anything.
  6. CalebMingle

CalebMingle Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If it really is in DFU mode, then use iRecovery or redj0hnny (whatever it is called) to send a normal iBSS file, unplug/replug, then send a "reboot" command. It should reboot either to recovery or to an "unrecognized"/"unbootable" state if you have the custom firmware already installed.
  7. espeorb

espeorb New Member

Tried the compiled redj0hnny and iRecovery. Both pop up a DOS screen for a split second then close. No difference whatsoever.
    Maybe it's not in DFU, and just completely unrecognizable? The permanent DFU mode happened right after I installed the jailbroken firmware, but I couldn't finish the GUI process because it didn't recognize it as DFU mode when called for.
  8. CalebMingle

CalebMingle Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ah, I see what you mean.

You don't just open the iRecovery or redj0hnny.. you need to open them from command line.

If you want, you can try my application to determine that status.

http://u.dopaul.com/wRecovery_CLI.zip

1. Extract that folder.
    2. Start -> Run -> cmd
    3. Change to the directory that you just extracted
    4. Type: redsn0w -s

It should display if your device is in DFU/Recovery/WTF/Normal modes, or just turned off/not recognized.
  9. espeorb

espeorb New Member

'Kay. Your application tells me it's "Turned off, or not bootable". That's a start at least. Since you made it, got any ideas?
  10. josh0403

josh0403 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Its not in DFU mode. Its off.

1) Hold home + power for ten seconds
    2) Release power and hold home for 8 more seconds
    3) Itunes WILL detect it

Make sure the timing is close to exact (Windows clock)