Stuck in DFU, cannot restore in itunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gergster, Apr 30, 2010.

1. gergster

gergster New Member

My son has a 1g Itouch. He tried to jailbreak it, dont know what firmware he was running. I cannot get it to restore in itunes (version 9, running win7 ultimate).
    I get errors running from 1600 to 1608.
    I have tried redsn0w to get firmware 3.1.2 and 3.1.3, no luck (stuck on uploading jailbreak screen- no spinning wheel- just stuck).
    I have tried iLiberty (all I get is a blinking "DFU MODE" in bottom right corner and all options are greyed out).
    I have tried iBoot, but not sure if the ibss is the right one.
    I have tried iReb, but no luck.
    I have tried 2 other computers (XP and Win7) with fresh installs of itunes, still get errors 1600, 1604, etc.
    I know you can't "brick" one of these, but I am truly at the end of my rope. I can't get to a boot logo, white screen, "connect to iTunes", anything. The ipod does show up in iTunes, but cannot restore (errors 1600, 1604, 1608, etc.) The fact that it can be seen in itunes gives me hope, but I am well and truly lost. I have seen people talk about SSH to copy files, and I have access to another 1G iTouch (not jailbroken), but I don't know how to use SSH. I am computer literate, but a relative noob to this sort of thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    when you try to restore, what come up on the iPod screen? if anything?
  3. gergster

gergster New Member

Absolutely nothing. I got to the apple logo once, with the spinner on it, but spinner was frozen.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I also should add that I am not on his laptop that he used to jailbreak it. I am on mine, because most posts included the tip to go to a different laptop.
  4. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Try running iRecovery.
  5. gergster

gergster New Member

I tried it, but all i get is a command window that stays open for about 1/2 second, then it closes. Too fast for me to read what it says.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Okay. Ifigured out how to open a command prompt, cd desktop>cd irecovery>then what? what files do i need to upload to the ipod? The only file that came with the irecovery download was a libus0.dll
  6. gergster

gergster New Member

Some progress to report. I was able to get redsn0w to upload 3.1.2 It is stuck on Downloading Jailbreak Data screen. The spinner is there, but it it is taking about 4 hours to make one revolution. That is not a joke or overstatement. It is now 6 PM CDT, and the spinner is 1/4 around the circle. It started at 5 PM CDT. I tried the 3.1.3 firmware, but it is not recognized by redsn0w 9.4 I have tried reset, unplug and reloading the firmware 3.1.2 I have seen posts where they say redsn0w may take 20 minutes, but at this rate, it will take days. Any suggestions?