Stuck at "Downloading Jailbreak Data"? Try this. 2g Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elcampesino, Jul 2, 2009.

1. elcampesino

elcampesino New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    So I was having a hard time with jailbreaking to 3.0 on my 2g iphone. Seeing as I was running vista on my laptop I thought trying on my XP machine would work out better, with no change.

After Hours of repeating the process and getting to the "Downloading Jailbreak Data" and no response, or redsnow crashing (even on XP compatibility, and runing as Admin) Nothing would work. I took a day break after restoring to 2.2.1

I came back to my vista laptop and did the following

1. created a new administrator account on my vista machine
    2. Made sure Itunes was 8.2 (I uninstalled and reinstalled which took forever but may have been part of my success in the end.)
    3. Made sure IPSW was iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore
    4. Made sure I had bootloaders 3.9 and 4.6 to unlock my phone as well.
    5. Made sure iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore was not .zip but .ipsw
    6. Upgraded to 3.0 OS and closed Itunes.
    7. Downloaded a fresh copy redsnow 0.72 (unziped using WinRAR, but shouldnt make a difference how you unzip.)
    8. Did not run redsnow.exe in compatibility mode or admin
    9. opened redsnow.exe
    10. Iphone was already connected from when I upgraded to 3.0.
    11. Selected iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore as my current firmware both cydia install and unlock.
    13. next browse to both 3.9 and 4.6 boot loaders
    14. Hold power button until "Slide to power off" message appeared and then shut off. Wait till swirly thing has done its thing and dissapears.
    15. proceded to enter DFU mode as per redsnow instructions
    16. once you get to the part of DFU instructions where its asks you to hold home button for 30 seconds, even if your PC recognizes the iphone keep holding it till you countdown from 30 completely.
    17. Let redsnow do its thing and wait till your iphone displays "Downloading jailbreak Data" including the swirly thingy from before when you turned your phone off.
    18. after about 2 mins (some report 5-8mins) it should display running pinapple and you should be in the clear let it do its thing till you see springboard(iphone home page....if you will)

and done.

this solved my problems and jailbroke my Iphone 2g and hopefully this helps others out too. Let me know your results.

Answers to questions that I know will be asked:

q:Is this jailbreak tethered?

q:will it erase all my data?
    a: if in data you mean songs, contacts, sms chats, videos, cydia apps already installed, <redacted> and your custom theme you got for winter or summer board or whatever you kids are using. Then yes it will. Back anything up that you want to transffer over to your Jailbroken 3.0.

q:will this unlock my iphone?
    a: Only if you are on 2g iphone and have the required 3.9 and 4.6 bootloaders. as for 3g Look up "Ultrasnow"
  2. mattym

mattym New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    no to be offensive, but this is the exact method that everyone follows. You probably did something wrong in the initial attempts, possibly using a bad restore file or already edited one.
  3. elcampesino

elcampesino New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    I know what you mean. And I'm aware that it's the exact process. But I spent 4 hours trying to jailbreak on my regular vista user account using the right version of 3.0 and followed the process to the bone. After doing as I did above the jailbreak finnally didn't crash in windows and didn't give me the "downloading jailbreak data" wait game. I hope it will help somehow as it seemed to work for me.
  4. Thanks!!!

Had trouble before your site... Never thought I had to upgrade to jailbreak it using redsn0w... Anyway, Thanks!
  5. guy123456

guy123456 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    iphone 2g is unlocked for life, no need to check bootloader