Street Fighter 4 iPhone Review!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Selom T, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Selom T

Selom T Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Hooray, my first review!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Those of you who loved Street Fighter 4 will be pleased to know that Capcom have decided to release it for the iPhone and iPod touch! But does it live up to it's Next-Gen console predecessors?

The game does it's best to stay faithful to the console versions, with the start up screen looking and sounding exactly the same. When you tap the screen, this pops up :

Those of you who've played console Street Fighter 4 already (I'm going to refer to it as CSF4 from now on) will know that this screen is definitely different. However, I believe that for the iPhone version, this is better as it optimizes the touch screen, making the buttons easier to choose. The start up screen is fairly self-explanatory. The only two that may confuse you are "Get More" which is get more Capcom games or Special which shows a Trailer for Super Street Fighter 4.

When you are to start a fight, a screen comes up showing all the characters possible to choose.

There are only 8 characters in this iPhone version, which is seriously watered down compared to the console versions. There were many characters I was disappointed they didn't add but I'm just hoping Capcom will add them in as DLC or something

When you start to actually fight, you'll notice a few things different from CSF4. The Ultra/Super bar has been moved to the top to make way for the touch screen buttons. The amount of attacks you can use has been reduced as there is no longer a Weak/Medium/Strong Punch/Kick, only one. The focus attacks have been made into one button also, along with the special button. Though this does water down the game, it makes it a lot easier to play and get to grips with, a wise decision from Capcom in my opinion.
    Graphically, the game looks pretty impressive. It stays quite faithful to the Street Fighter 4 look and feel, only dumbing down just enough to make sure the iPhone/iPod Touch doesn't completely run out of memory. When I check my memory on SB settings, I had 53MB to start and once I booted up the game, I only had 11MB left. The frame rate of the game is not 100% fluid however, it's not lowered so much that the game isn't fully enjoyable. The game plays very well, and it really captures the SF4 feel.
    The sound in the game is the same as CSF4, and sounds great. The same great music aside from the song on the entrance screen is added into the iPhone version, and it stays faithful to CSF4 in this sense.

Ultra moves are a lot easier to pull off in this game. You can do the move the traditional way with the joystick or you can use a new method that Capcom implemented where you can touch either yours or your opponents Super/Ultra bar, and the move will be done for you. This may annoy hardcore fans, but for the many children and Street Fighter newbies playing this game for the first time, this will be a great addition.

To wrap this review up, I think that Street Fighter 4 is a neat little Gem with a few flaws. I suggest that you go to the AppStore and pick this one up right away.

Visuals: 4.0
    Controls: 4.0
    Audio: 4.5
    Replay Value: 4.5
    Value for Money: 3.5

Overall Score: 4.0

Attached Files:

2. rodnono

rodnono New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks for the review!!
  3. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

woah, that get on itunes button is way too big, but nice review otherwise
  4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Pretty nice review, honestly.

The App Store link pic is way to big though

5. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4

This looks great, but the visuals seems a bit too "bright". idk the colors seem too fictional. I hope Activision makes a cod: mw2 for iphone, so then i'm set until i get enough money for a PS3.
  6. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Lol, CoD: MW2 on the iPod? I'm sorry, but that's a bit far-fetched, methinks.

Hint: It is.
    But I like this series of games; I'll be sure to get it when the price falls a bit, as it surely will

7. ThingsUWant

ThingsUWant New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    sorry but when you said 4.5 did u mean out of 5 of 10???

either way i love the game and im gonna get it
  8. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Nice review, but the App Store link is a bit overpowering.

9. PR0BLEMZ

PR0BLEMZ New Member

10. vash9

vash9 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    my friend bought the game on his iphone and i played it.

it's just as fun as the console versions.

it's a bit easier because there's only 4 buttons but harder to actually do a special move or anything.

nonetheless, 8.5/10 in my opinion.