Streaming video to IPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pheonix911, Mar 27, 2008.

1. pheonix911

pheonix911 New Member

Ok ... so I'd like to setup a streaming media server, I've done this with the PSP in the past using products like ORB or TVersity. ORB is ok as it has the benefit of hosting the portal through their own website, for those of you who don't want to run a local webserver (Even though the ORB app still needs to be running) ... TVersity is what I prefer, it runs a local webserver, but the real benefit here is that it does on the fly transcoding, meaning you can have an AVI file stream to your IPod Touch because it gets coded into mpeg4 as you view it ... pretty processor intensive, but -very- nice feature.

So all this works pretty well on Windows, however I happen to hate windows with a pretty strong passion, so my questions is this ... has anyone been able to find any kind of streaming media server on any linux / unix distro yet. I don't have a mac, so thats out of the question for me. Transcoding isn't an absolute must, just the ability to stream Mpeg4 would be nice, I can just convert what videos I'm interested in streaming before I watch them.

So there it is .... anyone have any thoughts on this. I guess I could just serve the videos up in apache, but I don't know if the IPod's Safari implementation will be able to play them???
  2. skids

skids New Member

Try the right section.

Its called Tech Help!
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    There is a website/company developing a way to Stream from your iPhone or any mobile device with Internet access.

They've found a way to stream while transcoding in MP4 format so people can watch it on their mobile devices (ie. iPhone / iPod Touch)

Its a really interesting prospect.
  4. pheonix911

pheonix911 New Member

Any idea what the name of that company is?