Streaming Songs/Video from your PC... for Free

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Ridman, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Ridman

Ridman New Member

Bear with my english for a little while as I attempt to explain how one streams songs and video from their home machine... for free, without paying for a Dot.Tunes account. I got this idea while playing around with Apache for the ipod touch.. This got me thinking that it would be possible to create your own streaming platform right out of home,

This method was done and tested on a Windows XP machine. I'm planning to test tomorrow if I can stream at my college from my machine 21 miles away.. Anyway on with the "guide"...

First you will need an internet connection (big d'oh right there). Preferably you will have a static ip. If not you can create an alias hostname that points to your dynamic ip from some free services on the net (www.dyndns.com). Static ip's are ip adresses that don't change with every connect. Dynamic ip's are ip addresses that change every time you reconnect.

At this point you will need a webserver client (which basically turns your PC into an HTTP server. It turns out that Apache will work out fine for you (at least it did for me).

Why Apache? Because it's the most popular and well secured webserver on the net. We want to be able to access those media files without compromising our security.... too much xD. Here's where you can get it:
    http://apache.oregonstate.edu/httpd/binaries/win32/apache_2.2.6-win32-x86-openssl-0.9.8e.msi

The installation will prompt you for some configurations... here's what you will want to pick:

Beside Domain Name, if it did not fill this field in automatically, you will have to find your Domain name manually. To achieve this, simply go to Start > Run then type in cmd, then click ok. then type 'ipconfig /all' and press enter. your domain will be beside 'Connection-specific DNS-suffix'.

Don't close the command prompt yet! It'll still be useful. Now back to the installation, the next field will ask you for a server name. Again, if it does not fill this in automatically for you, you will have to type it in manually.

Go back to the command prompt that you (hopefully) kept open and see the name beside 'Host Name'... this will be your server name. What you want to fill in for the second field in the installation then is 'HostName.domain'. So for example, if I had a Host name 'Cowabunga' and a domain name 'kicking-ass.org', I would place 'Cowabunga.kicking-ass.org' as a Server Name.

You can leave the administrator email blank. For the "For who to install Apache" field, select "For All Users". This is critical since you want to be able to access your webserver from wherever and not just locally.

Now click next and choose a Typical Installation and let the installer run its course.

Ok, now that it's installed... go into My computer or Windows explorer, and browse over to
    C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs

This is basically your 'portal' to accessing content (songs or video or whatever) that you want to stream to your ipod touch. Copy the content that you want to be streamed into that folder. However, there is one catch for videos. You need to convert it beforehand into a format that ipod touch can play. This means that you need to convert it with a program such as Videora and it needs to be a specific format (*.mp4 files, etc.).

Also, you need to delete index.html in that folder (C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs) in order to see those files that you have placed there OR if you know how to code html, simply create an html file that references those files as hypertext.

One final thing.. you need to check your ip address. Again go to the command prompt in Start > Run, and type in ipconfig /all. You will need to take note of the number beside 'IP Address', since this is how you will access your store of files.

Ok, to stream them to your ipod, make sure your ipod is connected to wifi and open Safari. Navigate to to http://ipaddress/ where 'ip address' is the ip address you took note of earlier. Example of this is http://192.168.11.134/ or something to that effect. A list of the content should appear and if you click on one of them - voila - instant streamed content from your PC on your iPod touch.

Now all that's left is to enjoy ~

EDIT: Almost forgot you will also need to have SSH turned on, you can do so through the "Services" app to stream these. ... Found out about orb just now xD oh well. Well here's your alternative route >= )
  2. Ridman

Ridman New Member

replies?

Tch... 145 views and not one reply? come on, at least come laugh at me for trying to be helpful... Guess that's what I get for trying to "give" to the community.
  3. ChileTouch

ChileTouch Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    maybe most of the 145 viewers are mac users which have apache built in.

anyway, I'm sure some of us will have a lot of use of streaming video

Please Register or Log in to view images

good post. I might click the only button required on mac OSX to start the apache web server

4. alltone

alltone New Member

I'm looking for a way to share my music at home with wifi but without internet.

192.168.11.134 is a local IP, not public, no?. Maybe your method is what I'm looking for.

I'll check it at home. Thanks for your work.
  5. rhmyuen

rhmyuen New Member

Great work Ridman! I have MyTunesRSS installed on the server but it seems like only Windows/Mac clients work with that. Will try your method tonight!
  6. dimdig23

dimdig23 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    im excited to try this when i get home, if i can get a password for school my ipod touch will be 168gb
  7. alltone

alltone New Member

I have type 'ipconfig /all' in cmd but 'Connection-specific DNS-suffix' is in blank, What can I do?
  8. dimdig23

dimdig23 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    it asks for a username and password
  9. Paul Penney

Paul Penney New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I am also getting the password and login thing... I think it might be because of my router but I am otherwise unsure. A little help anyone?

10. TimurY

TimurY Member