Streaming Media over LAN

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by ronie1993, Feb 9, 2009.

1. ronie1993

ronie1993 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    One thing that has always disappointed me a little bit about the ipod touch is its capacity, mine only being 8gb. I cant fit all my media on it, especially with apps, so i think an app that would let me stream media from my computer over to my laptop would be very good. Very much like Simplify Media, however it would only be through the LAN and so would not use up the monthly internet download quota. I have no idea how to do this, but i think it would be an extremely popular app if it were to be made.
  2. Mr_iPod

Mr_iPod Member

If you want to steam music from your computer to your laptop, then just use iTunes. On your computer open iTunes then go to Edit>Preferences and find the Sharing tab. Check the box labelled "Share my library on my local network" Then either choose "Share entire library" or Share selected playlists" If you want, make it require a password.

On your laptop, open iTunes and wait 5-10 seconds and you should see your shared library appear in the side bar. Click on it. If you made it require a password then input the password. There you have it. Simple.
  3. ronie1993

ronie1993 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah i know you can do that, but i mean streaming media from your computer onto your ipod touch using the WLAN, without having it connected to the computer with a cable.
  4. brownbox

brownbox New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    orb does that over wlan