Streaming full iTunes library via WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vindaloo, Oct 2, 2007.

1. vindaloo

vindaloo New Member

Hi all, sorry if this has already been posted but I have tried the search feature and couldnt find anything that addressed this specifically.

My itunes library, like most people, is well over 16GB and includes a lot of video, both purchased and converted. I'm hoping there is a way to stream music and video playback from my whole library onto the ipod touch. I'm only interested in doing this when at home and within range of my wireless home network so can it be done thru the wifi functionality?

I use Vista on my PC if that makes a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all
  2. smartdude24

smartdude24 New Member

3. alltone

alltone New Member

I'm looking too: stream music from my pc, wifi (but not internet), with windows and free. It's possible?

Thanks
  4. spin54

spin54 New Member

Orb rocks. Try it out. The only problem is the ipot doesn't have any codecs but the mp4 format so watching avi's is out, but it will stream your music great.
  5. alltone

alltone New Member

Thanks for your answer!!!
    Only one question: orb works only via internet. I'm looking for an application that works without inet, I want to share my music via wifi at home.
  6. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Yep. The iPod Touch with wireless needs the ability to access shared music from your home network when you're at home using that home network.

It also need bluetooth, or at least a bluetooth thingy to plug into it so one with bluetooth headphones (like me) can listen without a cable.

It also need a built-in pop-out stand. Perhaps iTouch 2.0 ;-)

It also needs to know when another itouch is near by, and let me know it. Then it needs an instant messager so one can send a quick message like "I'll show you my tunes if you'll show me yours!"

Then it needs an easy way to send tunes to that other itouch is found. It should be as easy as sending your business card to someone else's PDA.
  7. iStealth

iStealth New Member

Apple airport / extreme?? look on apple.com
  8. alltone

alltone New Member

Is a good option, but I prefer using my touch.
    With any PDA with wifi you can share the music of your pc via wifi, I'm looking for something like it with the touch
  9. iStealth

iStealth New Member

There is a thread on somewhere here that you can use airport and use the touch as a controller.. but your PC or MAc is still streaming the music. Not sure (I don't think it will) if that same software will allow you to listen to your PC or Mac music on your touch.
    You might want to check?
    http://www.alloysoft.com/download.html
    http://www.alloysoft.com[url]
  10. alltone

alltone New Member

Thanks for your attention iStealth.
    With this software the ipod is a wireless remote control, but I want to listen the music in touch with my earphones and not in any speaker at home.
    Best regards,

alltone