Streaming from ipod touch 2g to TV

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tabbypoint, Nov 19, 2008.

1. tabbypoint

tabbypoint New Member

Is this possible. I can stream BBC iplayer to my Touch and I just wondered whether if I had a docking station if I could then connect this to my TV to stream iplayer straight to a bigger screen. If I did would it have enough pixels to give me a decent picture?
  2. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    No you cannot. The BBC iPlayer uses Flash, which the iPod Touch/iPhone do not have, and last I remember. And I think the AV Cables ONLY do Video from the Video player.
  4. tabbypoint

tabbypoint New Member

So who is right. I don't want to buy an AV connector and then find that either the quality is no good or that it won't work with BBC iplayer. I am looking to buy either a charger or a dock but read that some of them won't charge the ipod Touch 2g, but perhaps that is another question.
  5. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You cannot stream the BBC iPlayer on your device Period. It doesn't have Flash. And the iPod Touch/iPhone cables only stream video from the Video player. So its no use to you.
  6. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I did not know that BBC iPlayer used Flash, so Teslanaut is right, not me.

Sorry.
  7. tabbypoint

tabbypoint New Member

I don't really understand. If I can receive BBC iplayer on my Touch why can't I show it on my TV. What's Flash?

If I had the AV connector could I use it to show pictures and videos on the TV and to do so would they have to be resident on my Touch or could I transfer them from itunes on my computer.
  8. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash#Flash_Video

When you visit the BBC iPlayer site, can you watch the videos on the site on your iPod Touch/iPhone? Or do they stream it in MP4?

With the AV Connector, you can watch videos that are synced to your device from iTunes. They have to be converted into the proper format. Check my signature to learn how.
  9. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is BBC iPlayer working on your iPod? If so, then Teslanaut is wrong about the flash. Anyway, as he said, the AV Cables only work with content INSIDE the Video App, not something streaming of the web, like iPlayer.
  10. tabbypoint

tabbypoint New Member

I visited the BBC iplayer site through Safari, clicked on the program I wanted to watch and then clicked to play. Since I was at home there wasn't a lot of point in watching it on the Touch so I used my laptop instead. I can connect my laptop to the TV to watch iplayer but thought that if I bought the AV connector this would be a neater solution than balancing my laptop next to the TV.

The whole episode of TV obviously didn't download to my Touch 8gb so it was streaming as I watched it.