Strange Wifi Activity

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dranktherest, Jan 21, 2008.

1. dranktherest

dranktherest New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm in a college dorm that does not have wifi access, so I'm trying to use my Macbook (10.4.11 Tiger) to share my internet connection (I've tried 128, 40, and No Wep encryption) to my jailbroken 1.1.2 ipot. However, the connection is very spotty. Safari usually has no trouble downloading webpages, but it may take a while to load, and the iTunes store has been good when searching, though i haven't tried to download from it yet. But the 3rd party apps I have, Maps, Weather, Mail, Apollo, TTR, and Installer, have limited connectivity (I downloaded these apps while I was home for winter break where I have a solid wifi connection).
    The most baffling part is that while Installer absolutely refuses to refresh the sources, when I attempt to install an app, it downloads about half of the app (confirmed by the download status bar and my istat menu bar network tool) and then ceases all activity.
    I've even asked my roommate to connect to my shared wifi network with his laptop, but he could only connect to the network, not download from it.
    I've spent a lot of time searching for solutions, but without any luck. I'm hoping someone out there may know of a setting, program, or work-around that I've missed that will enable to enjoy my ipot. (I'm not opposed to having the ipot be physically connected to my macbook to get internet, as it'll be better than the little connection I have now.)

Thank you for any advice or help
  2. dranktherest

dranktherest New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Bumpidy, Bump, Bump

Update: Today I went to a cafe/bookstore and used their wireless. I was able to connect, and update installer and a lot of my apps. So now I'm positive that it is my Macbook that is at fault. If anyone has any advice on configuring a Macbook to share internet or diagnose the problem (I've read most of the tutorials on this forum about this...I'm talking hidden settings or terminal commands or apps of some sort) it would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I may just have to go to Apple for "help"

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks a bunch.