strange RAM usage?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by berky93, Mar 21, 2009.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

for some reason, my computer starts up using 50% of the available RAM. I have uninstalled all programs I don't use, checked the items that start with my computer (not just the startup folder - everything) and I have even tried RAM optimizers (which I only just recently was able to get rid of entirely). I cannot figure out why my RAM usage is so high. its really annoying me, because I get messages about programs using too much RAM (firefox? wtf how much ram does firefox use!) and I've even had my computer freeze because it ran out of RAM.

any ideas?
  2. manutdfan539

manutdfan539 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The second you boot open task manager and tell us what processes are running.

Maybe then someone can help.
  3. *Soul~Of~iTouch*

*Soul~Of~iTouch* New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Virus? Sounds like it though...

I'm just suggesting a possibility...
  4. wibble

wibble New Member

Firefox is a memory hog.

Hmm, memory leak?
  5. berky93

berky93 New Member

I think I may have found the problem - I had my computer set to do automatic defrags, but I accidentally set the wrong scheduled time. it was set to a time/day that I always have my laptop off at, so it never was powered on to perform the defrag. my computer has never been defragmented!

anyway I'm in the middle of an extremely long defrag process right now, i'll see how it goes. and I fixed the scheduled time and set a reminder to defrag to appear every week for me.

I wish I'd found this a long time ago, because my computer used to be so bad that it would freeze with the internal speaker going off and I had to force-shutdown/reboot, losing all of my data (and since that usually occurred while using photoshop, it wasn't just a simpel case of hitting "restore previous session" like in firefox)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ok my computer finally finished - after a 12-hour defragmentation.

I don't get it though - it didnt help! my RAM is still at about 50% after booting (actually, it boots and then after all of my programs load its at 40% and then a few minutes later it goes up to 50% and stays there)