Strange blue residue suddenly appears inside docking port

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Darlyn, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I pulled my iPod out of my pocket only to find a small amount of an unidentified blue substance covering some of the gold contacts. A thorough inspection of my pocket yields no results; it is completely clean. This incident has happened to me twice and I have lost two USB cables due to the transference of this blue gunk.

I picked off most of the dirt from the iPod's port, but my USB cable emitted a flash and died. Fortunately for me, the iPod still has normal connectivity. As I type this it is charging on my wall charger. The only thing I can do for now is order another cable (my power cable is "power only", thus I do not want to risk frying my iPod when syncing), as I've done in the past.

Anyway, I ask the forums to give me some explanation for this. Has a similar incident occurred to any of you?
  2. Halacio

Halacio New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    well it depends on alot of things such as; how clean you keep it, where the cable and ipod are stored (i.e climate, moisture, etc.) I have never heard of an ipod creating electrical discharge, so it is most likely just dirt boss, i would buy a cleaning kit and be more careful
  3. ubunix

ubunix Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    screenshots?
  4. stevenplanet

stevenplanet Banned

HOW do you take a screenshot of a dock connector?
  5. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Just get your ipod replaced..
  6. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Camera.
  7. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Update: despite catching fire and emitting some smoke, my USB cable is now working again. The inside is visibly charred but the gold contacts somehow work. Both charging and syncing are functional. My theory is that the ignition cleansed the cable of the residue.
  8. berky93

berky93 New Member

its probably fiber from your pants...
  9. River

River New Member

After careful consideration, you've got some serious pocket lint. (Not from your iPod, from your denim).

Might want to check your dryers' lint trap and make sure it's free of lint as well.