STORY: how I fixed my mac connection issue w/ iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chort27, Jun 2, 2008.

1. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    About a month ago, my iPod was having some trouble connecting to my mac. I would plug it in... and nothing would happen. This would only happen occasionally however... about 25% of the time. I brought my iPod to an apple store, and the guy there replaced it. All was going well, until...

I discovered my new iPod was having the same issue. I wasn't to concerned because it seemed to be happening less and less.... until the exact same thing happened with my mom's iPhone. Now I was getting worried. I knew it had to be a problem with my computer.

So one day, when my iPod wasn't connecting I restarted the computer. As it was starting up, I heard the familliar "beep" of the iPod's connection sound. I looked over, and sure enough, my iPod was connected. So restarting my computer had fixed the issue.

A few days later I came up with a hypothesis. The reason my iPod connected once I Restarted was because restarting killed all processes on my mac. So there must have been something happening that prohibited the connection of my iPod. So the next time my iPod wouldn't connect to the computer, I put my plan to action.

I hit apple tab to see the list of open applications. Safari, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Autoupdate, and of course... finder. The two that caught my eye were Microsoft Word and Autoupdate. Was it possible that these two microsoft applications were prohibiting the connection of my iPod? I thought about this for a moment, and then decided the best way to figure it out would be to try it.

I quit both applications. About 3 seconds later I heard the *beep* of my iPod connecting to the computer.

So that's the story. Microsoft products on my mac somehow stopped my ipod from connecting. Weird. I am not sure if it's autoupdate or word that stops it from connecting, but I bet it's autoupdate because no one else I talked to had this problem, and almost everyone these days has Microsoft Word on their computer.

So if this ever happens to you, now you know hwo to fix it. A simple fix, but weird.

Thoughts, comments?
  2. SkySurfer24

SkySurfer24 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Wierd, Cool story though
  3. P0150N0U5 F15)-(

P0150N0U5 F15)-( Banned

LOL, Microsoft is always screwing with us...
  4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It's like Microsoft with Spaces. Office is terrible with Spaces.

BTW, it's command-tab, not apple-tab.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. stolencar

stolencar New Member

I had similar issue with my Touch. Two months in, it stopped being recognized by iTunes (Mac not Windows). I sent it back to Apple who returned it to me saying there were no issues with it. Plugged it back in and still no response. Called tech support and we tried a variety of things. Eventually, we came to the conclusion that I needed to plug it directly into a usb port on the computer not through a hub. Works fine now.

I imagine the intial connecting might involve a fair bit of resources and I have an older Mac mini. Maybe you have a similar issue? Of course, if your computer is brand new and has tons of ram then my comments don't fit.
  6. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have an iMac PPC G5, and I am plugging it in straight to the computer. It works perfectly now, as long as I close all microsoft products before plugging it in.
  7. Sickly_slick

Sickly_slick New Member

goddamn bill.....
  8. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha
  9. Elric

Elric New Member

Why would you HAVE them in the first place? Surely you must have heard of iWork, THOUSAND times better!