Store region set + Ipod compatibility

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CheeseBurgerMan, Mar 9, 2009.

1. CheeseBurgerMan

CheeseBurgerMan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Heya! I'm new here and I'm buying an Ipod Touch of eBay.
    I live in Australia so I'm guessing when the Ipod accesses the store it is the "au" store, right? So will it play things on an Ipod bought from America for instance and download on the Aussie store?

If you know what I mean please reply. Basically, I am asking if the store is region locked.

Also when it is a 16 GB, under storage capacity it actually only says 15GB, is this because of programming space? Because I checked my friends and it was 8GB and it said ... out of 7GB used.

Thankyou in advance and I have only 2 weeks for my question to be answered.
  2. cripesonfriday

cripesonfriday New Member

I got my ipod from the U.S and am able to use it in IReland, once you reset it it will work in your region.

Basically in regard to your other question, music players especially have a tendency to overestimate the capacity of the player (it's to do with the way a Gb is considered a billion bytes rather than the "true figure")
    Plus also the ipod section takes up some room too, 15Gb sounds about right.
  3. bgalfond

bgalfond New Member

does this reset involve wiping all the files on the ipod? can it keep one stores files and then switch stores to get more?

Oh, and as for the space, that is normal. there is a difference in size calculation, binary (must be 2^n) vs decimal (factor of 10). Hard disk manufacturers define a GB as 1000^3 bytes (decimal) while the systems that access them more often than not use 1024^3 (binary), resulting in something like a 7% size decease. well, apparent decrease.
  4. CheeseBurgerMan

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thankyou! So if I bought it off eBay I could trust that it will work when I download off the Australian store? I just wanna be completely sure. lol i've been ripped off this way before.
  5. Callapidae

Callapidae New Member

yep, you shouldn't have a problem.
  6. CheeseBurgerMan

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hooray Thanks to all that posted. =)
    This is a pretty active forum.
  7. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

yeah, but using the wrong store could give you a little trouble. like, if you buy iTunes cards from Canada and your iTunes store is different, they wont work.
  8. CheeseBurgerMan

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes but if I buy it from Aussie and set up iTunes, do I set my iTunes region to Aussie or something?