store google maps in memory?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by KEVB, Oct 19, 2007.

1. KEVB

KEVB New Member

Would it be possible to download part of a map, for example, my city, store it on the ipod, and have the map.app use it instead of depending on wifi?
  2. f1n3

f1n3 New Member

I have a question like that also, I was trying to find a thread on it but could not find anything...

I was more interested in the whole navigation feature and if we have to keep wifi on for it to keep going step by step as i drive?
  3. emb531

emb531 New Member

well you can access the list view in maps without wifi if its already loaded up...and if you get lost, just find some wifi and reload.
  4. zzchatom

zzchatom Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    about the ofline mode in maps, can any of you actually use "search" eg, lets say i have brisbane city loaded up and im looking at "edward street" when i was on wi fi and in offline mode i use search for edward street i cant find it.... even when im staring right at it...
    any ideas?
  5. henrilouis

henrilouis New Member

it's normal because, when you search, the iPod sends a request to the google servers so when the wi-fi isd turned off you can't search any more, but the very first question was it is possible to store some maps in the iPod so that you can navigate trought them without wi-fi enven if you have not the search otpion, it would be interesting !
  6. sjsharks

sjsharks New Member

id the map was already loaded before, then you will still be able to access/see it w/o wifi
  7. termin8or123

termin8or123 New Member

well I know that if you get directions (step-by-step) it will still work without wifi. You will just have no map shown, but it will still say like turn right, and have the directions.
  8. Jerrie85

Jerrie85 New Member

as mentioned before, yes you can't request directions in offline mode, since the google maps server does the direction computation for you - the app on the touch is just a GUI for the data coming back from the server

that being said, it is possible to cache your maps on the touch; currently, it does store maps you have looked at in online mode in some cache location - you can exploit this and store your own DB database files to store the google maps tiles

http://brainoff.com/weblog/2007/10/19/1271